Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeast Measurment and Dough Storage Help

Options
Big Daddy - OCT
Big Daddy - OCT Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to cut my pizza dough teeth on what is touted as Emeril's Perfect Pizza Dough (link below). My first question is that it calls for 1/4 ounce of active dry yeast or one envelope. I happened to have had an envelope but hope to make many more so I bought a jar of yeast. Is there a measurement in teaspoons that is equivalent or do I have to buy a scale to measure this?[p]I added 4 teaspoons of Hodgson Mill vital wheat gluten and ended up with a pizza that was a full inch think! I think I'll either cut it in half or do without next time to see what the the finished difference is.[p]Last question. Can I make several batches of dough at a time and then refrigerate 3-4 for use the next evening? If so, do I put them in a gallon freezer bag after the first "punch down" and then chill? How far in advance do I have to take it out before use? Can it be frozen in a similar fashion? Okay, that was 4 questions....so sorry!![p]Thanks in advance for any help![p]Bruce
[ul][li]Dough Recipe[/ul]

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,[p] Read the Jar :) [p] 2 1/2 teaspoons.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Hey Bruce,
    How have you been? New job going well I hope. I just make 1 batch of dough at a time. So not much help. I really didn't like the game Saturday.[p]Mike

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    Car Wash Mike ,
    Hey Mike, I know you didn't like the game. I was there but had to work late so gave up my ticket. I just watched the replay of Fox...one hell of a game no matter which team someone is pulling for.[p]The job is going well but not used to 6 days a week. I'm doing the Internet sales, web and database development, and special financing for our local Chevrolet/Jeep dealer. It's family owned and they are truly great people.[p]Take it easy buddy and thanks for chiming in (despite your lack of help...lol).[p]Bruce

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    LOL, I love a good smartie pants reply. Because I looked for that I was about to call BS on your post so I grabbed the jar and there it is...2 1/4 tsp is the equivalent so thanks for inspiring me to look one more time![p]Salute,[p]Bruce

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,
    The gluten should have allowed you to stretch the dough thinner, so I would leave it in the recipe myself. Making and freezing pizza dough is fine; I've done it several times myself. I would not let it rise too much the first rising, though, as it will continue to rise in the refigerator.[p]My pizza dough recipe actually calls for making the dough with cold water and letting it sit overnight in the fridge. This helps with the flavor quite a bit. Then the next day, let it warm to room temp and rise a bit, roll it out and go. If you get the yeast going too much the first day, it will continue to rise in the refrigerator, which makes handling harder.[p]I separate the dough into 1 pizza size and refrigerate in sandwich bags lightly sprayed with PAM. That makes the next day much easier. Good luck.

• uncbbq,[p] I would contradict some of your advice and agree with some.
    I would suggest not adding any gluten to your flour and in fact I do not use bread flour or higher protein flours in pizza dough.
    I use an all purpose flour. This makes softer dough and is easier to work.
    Refrigerating dough retards fermentation and helps to develop more flavors. I just do this for a day but I have read of people doing it for multiples by cutting back on the yeast.
    This link is to a pizza forum. There is a lot of help here.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

[ul][li]http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php[/ul]
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    Willie Lump Lump,[p]thanks for the link to the pizza making forum - fun and informative place[p]mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    180684540-L.jpg
    <p />Willie Lump Lump,[p]I will agree and not agree with some of what you are saying...[p]You can use a high gluten flour and it can be easy to work with it all depends on they hydration percentage...[p]The problem with most when they are using the Lehmann method is not adjusting the hydration..
    Also most don't autolyse their flour. If you do this method you can get a very tender crust. [p]The key when using a high gluten flour is hydration..You want the dough to be sticky when you first start to knead it and use very little flour on your surface that you are kneading on. After 10 - 15 mins of working the dough it will start to absorb some of the moisture and will become very light and easy to work with..[p]What happens with most is they use too much flour and after kneading and resting in the fridge for a couple of days they pull it out and bring it to room temp..[p]Now they throw some flour on their working surface and then start the process of shaping the dough...[p]They already had a very dense dough and now have added more flour..this causes two problems...one is the dough becomes hard to work with because of the denseness and the other is the added flour isn't absorbed because of the lack of moisture..this causes the crust not to brown and to give a slow rise or slow oven spring.[p]I have tought several classes in making breads and pizza doughs and one thing that people have a hard time with is keeping the hydration high enough to allow the steam to build while baking..[p]Another thing to consider is what type of pizza you are trying to make...[p]I like to make a cross between a NY vs Neapolitan...[p]I let my dough sit in the fridge for a min of 36 hours.. I also autolyse my flour when making the dough..[p]I bake at 800+ deg and I do like a little char..[p][p]

• icemncmth
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,[p]One thing to do is look on the bottle and see if it is IDY or ADY yeast...[p]There is a difference...[p]
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,
    i used the below recipe with king arthur italian flour. it rolled out so thin it was almost like a cracker. italian flour is only 8.5% protein. i baked after the 2 hour rise.
    read your yeast jar carefully different names etc the brands here come in "active dry" or "bread machine" (which is called rapid rise in the recipe books, , i think?) i am new to pizza dough and this was a early experiment but i was happy with the result.

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26713,00.html[/ul]
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    bill,
    Where do you get the Italian flour? I've looked at all the stores here in Albuquerque and nobody carries it.

• billt
    Options
    bill,
    i bought it online and i bought it on a whim as i was having a lot of trouble stretching the dough i had been making. this stuff rolled out paper thin after the first rise of 2 hours.
    good luck let us know how it turns out
    bill

[ul][li]http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?pv=1193233410101&select=C79&byCategory=C128[/ul]
  • billt
    Options
    edbro,
    look up one post sorry about that

• icemncmth
    Options
    edbro,[p]Don't buy the "pizza flour"...what you want from King Arthur is the Sir Lancelot..[p]
    Or google... Caputo 00

[ul][li]click on me..[/ul]
  • Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    BigDaddy - OCT,
    Thanks for all the advice folks. Truly good information posted and it is appreciated.[p]Bruce

• icemncmth,
    Your's is the first post on pizza that I have seen that mentions high temps. I have been hopeing to simulate a brick oven Neapolatan pizza and hearing of your success is great.
    This is one of the reasons I bought an Egg.
    Thanks!

• Smoke Diver
    Options
    Willie Lump Lumo,[p]This is also one of the reasons that I bought an egg. I spoke with Chef Arnoldi at Eggtoberfest. He has replaced the gasket with a Coltronics gasket and cooks at 800 to 900 degrees or so. [p]I have been following icemncmth comments on the pizza forum for quite a while and have been quite impressed with what he has been able to make. I need to jump in and start making pizzas using a variety of high gluten flours and the Caputo OO flour.[p]Good luck![p]Smoke Diver

Smoke Diver
  • icemncmth
    Options
    Smoke Diver,[p]Just remember when making pizzas at 800-1200 deg...they will cook in about 3.5 mins and you need to have plenty of water in the dough..otherwise it will burn..[p]On other trick is to place something between the plat setter and pizza stone..I use 1/4 copper pipe elbows...[p]I have also used my grate but it better be clean or you will get a burnt oil taste in the pizza..[p]One trick that most don't do is..don't use shredded cheese..[p]Grate you own...the shredded cheese you get in the store is dusted with a powder to keep it from sticking together..and it also keeps it from melting correctly...[p]
  • Smoke Diver
    Options
    icemncmth,[p]Thank you for the suggestions. With practice, I hope I can make a pizza half as good as yours look.[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver