Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs. Dog’s Papaya Skirt

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I honor of the Sub-Tropical weather that we have been having here in Cleveland (71 this week), I decided to cook some fine Island Cuisine.[p]Here is what I did. I took a Skirt Steak and pounded it some with a tenderizer hammer. I then rubbed on some Mrs. Dog’s Jerk, about two tablespoons (should have used more). Next, I took some fresh Papaya and mushed it in to the meat. I put the steak in to a Zip-loc bag and tossed in some Olive Oil and Bacardi Dark Rum. I let the meat sit overnight.[p]I then made a Fruit Salsa with Papaya, Mango, Cantaloupe, Green Onion, Red Bell Pepper, a Jalapeno, Cliantro, Salt and Pepper with a pinch of Sugar and some Limejuice. I let it sit overnight as well.[p]When it was time to cook dinner, I fired up Mr. Egg to 700 and cooked the Skirt Steak for 3/3/3. The meal was completed with some Coconut Rice with Peas and some Red Calypso Beans. Of course the finishing touch was a couple bottles of Red Stripe.[p]The Skirt Steak was the tenderest one that I have cooked. The meal was wonderful and there almost was not enough for me to bring for lunch today.[p]I cannot believe that I had to mow the lawn in December, but I think this weekend will return to a more normal Cleveland December.[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    snowdog.jpg
    <p />RhumAndJerk,[p]Wow, what a great sounding spread! If I can assist with the leftovers, let me know. hehehe[p]The pic should conjur up more familiar memories of a Cleveland winter. Can you find the large Egg in the image?[p]K~G

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, I just read this aloud to husband, Steve. It got 3 WOWs out
    him. That's our kind of food! JCA

• Citizen Q
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Enjoy it while it lasts. 67 on Cape Cod at 9 last night when I was shutting down the Egg, and I'll be wearing shorts tonight to the Hyannis Christmas Stroll. Meanwhile, the squirrles are so fat that they don't even jump off the table anymore while I'm out there cooking, and they've been that fat since September. A sure sign of the rough winter coming our way.

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    J Appledog,
    As far as cooking difficulty goes, this qualifies as easy. [p]One last note, I sliced the steak thin across the grain for serving. One steak for five people worked out great.[p]Let me know how it turns out for you.
    R&J[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    How is the medium Egg treating you?
    R&J[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've been having fun with the medium since it arrived. It will do it's first high temp steak cook tonight for a family get together. Seems to be just the right size for when 4 to 6 guests come over. Mr. Big has been sitting cold on the deck for quite some time and is probably feeling neglected.[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    I could help keep him warm.[p]Heeeeee,
    R&J