Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for eggers with tables

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning my egg table and was curious about how you handle keeping the area below the egg clean? I have ash and bit's of coal everywhere. Do you use a fireproof mat of some sort? What about tables that are within a screened porch? Do you often get smoked out? Will the smoke discolor the screen that's closest?
Thanks for the tips....

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I cut a semicircle hole in one of my 1x6" boards directly below the bottom vent. I also fashioned a shute out of some tin which allows me to deposit the ash neatly into a metal buckethanging under the hole. Works great and I never have a mess.[p]CC
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I used to take extreme caution when I first built my table over a year ago. I gave up. Gives it character. Remember it's a Q table not a Steinway. I use a little vacuum that i suck all the ash out with. Works good. I also have burns and such on my table.[p]
    My2c[p]Mick

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Wardster,
    I go with an extremely low-tech and cheap solution. I have a black metal dustpan that I slide under the vent when it's open. That way, I can clean the ash out and if a stray cinder pops out while cooking, it doesn't land on the wood. I put about 8 small hooks on the non-handle side of the table for tools. I bought two large ceramic tiles at Lowe's and some stick-on plastic "feet" for them to sit on; those I put on the top of the table next to the dome. Can't help you with the screened-in porch question since I don't have one.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Wardster,[p]I purchased a large sheet of stainless steel and cut it to size. It protects the surface of the table under the egg beautifully. It also covers the burn mark from before I got the SS. [p]--Kevin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wardster,
    Gfw has had his on his screened porch for years now. Seems to work fine for him.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Wardster,
    I go low-tech also to catch the shooter's. I have a piece of tin foil under/by the vent. Otherwise, my egg sits on the feet it came with.
    Mine is on the patio, under the patio cover, although it's not screened in. Can't answer to smoke damage but I'd doubt if you get any. I do get some smoke under the patio cover but a lot depends on the weather, if there's any wind, how much the egg is smoking, etc. But the smoke/heat coming out of the egg have not harmed the cover in any way! You should be safe!

• Hi Wardster,
    I have my egg table at the farthest corner of my screened in patio and do not have any problem with the smoke at all.
    While I am cooking, I have a 16 inch fan blowing at low speed aimed at the top of the egg and the smoke blows right out the screen. It works just great. As far as the screen getting dirty from the smoke, it dosen't.
    I also have a fireproof mat sitting under the table that in case of hot ashes coming out, they fall on the mat.[p]