Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard Coating on Brisket??

Options
Lady Q'r
Lady Q'r Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband just got a 10lb. brisket today and this will be our first time for brisket on our large Egg. We were thinking about slathering it with JJ's rub and mustard (like some people do pulled pork)overnight in a plastic bag in the fridge, then cooking around 200-225*.[p]Is there anything wrong with the above plan? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Lady Q'r,[p]That sounds like a plan that I would look forward to saddling up to the table to enjoy a taste![p]Spin
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Lady Q'r,[p]The only thing wrong is Spin and I aren't there to help you eat that bad boy! (drooling from both corners of his mouth)
    Carey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Lady Q'r,
    Definitely sounds like you are on track! And it for some serious eating. The mustard coating is nice, and helps a tad with flavor penetration, crusting, and adds a little bite. [p]Brisket cooks very much like a pork shoulder/boston butt. Personally, I think you will have better luck cooking in the 225-250 range, but do what you are comfortable with. It will take quite a bit longer at 200, but some folks like to go with that 25-30 hour route. [p]I have a rough guide for a 10 pounder (indirect), depending on factors such as amount of connective tissue in your brisket, whether you use water in your drip pan, etc. Like I said, it is a rough guide based on my experiences.[p]@200 - 25-30 hours
    @225 - 18-22 hours
    @250 - 15-18 hours
    @270 - 10-14 hours[p]I have had good results with all those cooking temp ranges. I lean toward 240-250 as a favorite.[p]Whatever you do, you will enjoy it.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Lady Q'r,
    I've got an 8.5 pound marinating overnight myself. Using Nature Boy's suggested time/temp's, I'm looking at a 16-18 hour cook at around 220*. Is that about right??[p]Also, what's the best way to get a good, low fire started so we won't have to worry about it going out mid cook?[p]Anyone loyal to the LSU TIGERS is welcome for dinner Saturday night!

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Shelby,
    My wife and I both went to LSU, and our nephew goes there now (Junior), so we still have a strong connection to the place. We also know that LSU fans throw some of the best parties (win or lose) in the land. Wish we could be at yours. Rain Chek? Good luck...[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Anytime! In the meantime, I'll drink a beer on your behalf!