Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

arctic char

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good recipes for arctic char? Both of our schedules are limiting our time to investigate recipes and I got a good deal on an arctic char fillet and I'm begging for some info on a good way to cook it up for dinner. My gut sense is to treat it as salmon, but....???
V

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KK (Kathy Kerr) ViC,
    I have not done it, but I understand it is very much like salmon, and best cooked that way. Lots of ways to cook it, my favorite being Gretl's recipe...link below. It is excellent when followed as instructed! And there is also room for playing around....like I have been using maple syrup for 1/2 of the sugar. Yum.
    Cheers
    NB

[ul][li]Gretl's Righteous Dijon/Bourbon recipe[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    KK (Kathy Kerr) ViC,
    Not a big seafood fan, as you may be able to tell, but what is Artic Char?
    Mark

• PuppyBreath
    Options
    Mark,
    arctic char is a salmon-like cold water fish, that is egg friendly because it's loaded with oil... i vacuum pack a load of it for the winter and prefer it to all of the salmons...
    Puppy[p]

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    Going out to dinner this evening I'll look for it on the menu. Alway's looking for something new.

• Nature Boy,
    Gretl's recipe was great....I had scanned the listed recipes before posting the request for advice, and it was the one that had caught my attention. Your recommendation clinched it for me and it was outrageously delicious. Having canoed considerable areas of the arctic tundra, my previous tastes of arctic char had been much more primitive and simple (but very delicious...I recommend it highly when it is available..I got it at the local Bread and Circus Grocery Store and it was farm raised in Iceland). Kathy(KK)loved it and sends you her thanks, as well.
    Veektor
    P.s. sorry, didn't have time for a picture (belch!!)

• kookookachoo
    Options
    KK (Kathy Kerr) ViC,
    Arctic Char is to salmon what Filets are to steak.I like this best cooked at high temps for a short period of time about 3 min. a side depending on how thick the filets and how hot the egg. The goal is to cook to a medium rare/ medium. I marinade for a minimum 4 hours with
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 honey
    2 T. of your favorite dry rub
    This will be equivalent to terriaki glaze YUMMMM!
    You are in for a treat no matter how you cook it.ENJOY!

Wayne