Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Tips?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to try my first batch of jerky. Any tips you can provide would help greatly. Tips such as temp, wood, racks you've used with success, etc. [p]I am using Hi Mountain Jerky seasonings (Mesquite, Pepper, and Orginal) and am planning on starting with a small batch of venison cut into 1/4 inch thick "steaks". I figured I'd shoot for ~200 grid temp with the guru and about a 3 hour cook.[p]Since I don't have much in the first batch, can I just lay the meat on the grill grids or is there some reason a rack or hanger is much better?[p]To smoke, or not to smoke? Should I be concerned that the meat will retain too much moisture? How do I know when it's done?[p]Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Newgene,
    First off, Hi Mountain seasoning is good, although a lot of them include liquid smoke, so you may want to go easy on the actual smoke until you determine just how much is in the seasoning.[p]A quarter inch cut at 200 is not jerky, it is cooked meat. Jerky is dried, not cooked. I would recommend an 1/8 cut and a max temp of 165 (the jerky seasoning has curing agents thereby allowing the lower temps).[p]A rack which allows you to separate the meat will make a difference, although some do just pile it on the grid and flip. I prefer the rack.[p]This batch took about 5 hours.[p]2006_0813FoodandSuch8_140006.jpg

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    <p />Newgene,
    i shoot for 145 and try not to let it spike past 175 during the cook, it takes alot longer maybe 6-8 hours, dont go by times, take a piece out when its looking done and cool it down and bend it, you will know when its done. i use very little lump and cook direct with this simple setup, the other stuff is squaw candy made from salmon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggspertMN
    Options
    Newgene,
    See the link below re my post in September.[p]Just made a batch of jerky. Standing Rump roast was on sale. My friend will be sending me some venison soon. [p]I would try for 200 deg dome temp or less. remember that your intention is to dry the beef rather than cook it. therefore you must have a cure. Hi Mountain is a good way to start since it contains a cure. I think you will be surprise on how long it will take. your 3 hours could turn into 10 very easily, which would be a good thing. Be careful with smoke. a little goes a long way. too much and your jerky will be quite bitter and you won't like it. My suggestion is to put your cured beef on for about a hour to let the surface dry a little, then add a little wood for smoke. Hickory, cherry, and apple are my favorites. This wood will burn up in a short time giving you all the smoke flavour you need. [p]AZRP and BurntRaw and Fishless suggest hanging. I hang it too, although I have used a step up and layed it flat. hanging gives you more real estate, but will probably increase the time to dry. flat is also nice, and since there are fewer pieces, may dry out in 3-4 hours. [p]Have fun, and I'm sure you'll learn as you go along. you'll make changes and make your product better. [p]M

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives/2007/messages/423335.htm[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    EggspertMN,
    You missed a great time in Atlanta, saw a couple people that were at the MN fest. -RP

• EggspertMN
    Options
    AZRP,
    I KNOW Randy. Missed all of you. been lookin at all the pics and looks like a grate time! ;-) I'm gonna talk Jeffybeer in to us goin next year. we may even drive down there with a load of stuff in the truck! glad you had a grate time! say Hi to Kim. (oh, she reads this too, Hi Kim!)

• EggspertMN,
    Man, what a wealth of knowledge. Thank you (to everyone)! Looking forward to using some of these tricks. Ran to Bass Pro Shops over lunch and they didn't have the hanging rack in the store (online only??). I figure I can suspend the skewers I already have between firebricks placed on their ends. [p]Thanks again! Will update with results during or after the weekend.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Newgene,
    Check the tips section of my website for details on how to make your own rack. Posted a while ago by "Eggor"

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />Newgene,
    I do it with toothpicks so I can move them around individually. -RP

• EggspertMN
    Options
    Newgene,
    just have fun, and learn how to make it the way you like it. I love trying new things and always look forward to a new challenge.[p]Let me know how it works![p]M

• Newgene,
    I tries the hanging method, and didn't care for it. The tops of the strips got crispy, while the bottoms stayed too moist. Now I layer mine on pizza screens, and stack 3 screens up, using balled up foil as spacers. I like this method better.
    High Mountain is great, I like the garlic pepper. Not a big fan of the soy based marinades, just my personbal prefernece. I like the thicker cuts, makes it more like Jack Links jerky, instead of leathery.
    And if you are going to go throught the trouble, make lots, because even the bad stuff is pretty damn good!

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    fishlessman,
    How do you make squaw candy? Never heard of such a thing.
    Thanks

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,
    basically any beef jerkey recipe with a load of extra sugars, brown sugar wmolasis, maple syrup etc. i have used gfw's recipe and added sugar with good results. this is the origional recipe that i used a few years back, but it can be improved on with gfw's recipe

[ul][li]squaw candy[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    That does look awesome. I will definitely have to try that out. Do you have a link to GFW's recipe?[p]As for me, my venison jerky has been curing overnight and I hope to get it on the grill tonight. I used the 1/4 inch thickness setting on that "Jerky Board" slicer from Hi Mtn. I then pounded the strips out with a flat meat tenderizer so they were thinner based on comments recieved yesterday. [p]I went with "Sweet and Spicy" and "Original Blend" for this first trial run.[p]Thanks all!