Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size?

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone, I am planning on getting my 3rd egg and would appreciate your opinion on what size to get. Currently I have a Large and a Mini. I wouldn't trade either but have a need for more space. Some of the low and slow cooks shut me out for cooking something else. It's hard to make jerky for today, pulled pork for tomorrow and dinner at the same time. That being said, small, medium or large? Small might be nice for those hot and fast fillets, but I have a mini and frankly the large does a good job at these also. A medium would add to my "family" of eggs with a new size, but is there any advantage to a medium over a large. Small is definately the cheapest, medium is only about $125.00 less than a large (for less space). I also may be able to get a deal on a large demo, lifetime warrenty, who cares if it's been used if the price is right. Sooo, whats the general concensus??[p]Thanks and have a great night.[p]Chuck <><

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Chuck,
    Small, it's economical and easy to control. Use it 75% of the time. I also own large.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Chuck,
    Get a large. I own two mediums and a mini. Now, I need a Lagre.
    Fireball

• Chuck
    Painter, When you say economics, do you mean lump usage or initial cost? Although i am not exactly independantly wealthy, the money I save from going out to eat and the enjoyment i get from using my egg, warrent getting the correct size instead of the economical size. Control hasn't been a problem for me with the large or mini. If you could follow up though, do you use your small more for the economics or does it do some cooks better than others? Thanks for your input.[p]Chuck <><
  • Chuck
    Fireball, Thanks for the quick response. You would get a large because you have two mediums, if you already had the large would you get another or would you want a medium. [p]Chuck <><

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Chuck,
    A large. More grid space.[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Chuck,[p]I have all four Eggs and enjoy them all. The mini is a very portable fun cooker that makes a great meal. The small adds more space and the possiblities that a longer cooking time offers while still being portable. The medium is a nice economic compromise and provides even more cooking time, allowing for low and slow cooking without reloading the fuel.[p]When it comes to space, the large Egg is the only way to go. It has almost 50% more grill area and an equally larger dome area than the medium. It offers the most possibilities from an Egg. It is also the size that BGE has historically used to showcase new products, with the most successful being offered for the medium given time.[p]Best wishes on the new Egg,
    Spin

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Chuck,[p]If overall versatility and capacity contribution are more important decision criteria than economics, the large is your answer. We have 3 and they were acquired over time in the following order; large, small and mini. They all serve us well. We have no need for nor any intentions of adding a fourth, but if we did, we would acquire another large.[p]Puj
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Chuck, Both, being I don't generally cook for large crowds I use the small for the economics of lump usage. As far as better cooks on one or the other, not a noticable difference. The length of the cook without a fuel reload or the amount of food you are preparing at one time is one of the things to keep in consideration in the size of the egg you buy. And as was mentioned the small is a nice portable unit that gives you a little more versitility than the mini. For the best value, and being a medium is in your thoughts, I would just go ahead and get another large, as that would give you more bang for your buck. Whatever you decide you are almost there to complete the set.Good Luck in whatever way you go, you won't be dissapointed.
    Painter