Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainin all over my new egg?

Options
Other Wise
Other Wise Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will not having a cover hurt my felt gasket or temp gauge? We are finally getting rain two days after purchasing my new LG egg. I spent a lot to get eggsessories that I forgot a cover! Will I live to regret this or is there something I should use to cover it now?
#2 can wet egg lump coal be dried out and used or if I gets wet it's useless? Thank you and enjoyed meeting many of you at my first Eggfest with my best friend Terry "BENTE"

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    The rain won't hurt the egg...no worries...just get the cover ASAP....Take the wet lump...put in a dry place and it will dry out...Will take a few days...but it needs to be in a dry place....again...no worries......[p]Congrats on your new Egg....Welcome....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Other Wise,[p]
    Most will say that no cover is needed - It depends on you. Some say that moisture will trickle in through the temp probe hole.[p]I purchased the high end cover, and it's sitting on standby. I'm currently using a cheap Weber kettle cover (works if you don't have shelves, or at least the shelf brackets removed).[p]Another option is to find a plastic keg container - I have tried this, but those look like they would be a nice QUICK cover and heavy enough so it wouldn't blow off... Use as a table when off.[p]Regarding the lump. If lump gets wet, you can use it, but it's recommended that you put it on TOP of new lump. That way, the fire will dry out the lump first, if you get the idea..[p]-Jeeves

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Other Wise,[p]Rain won't do much to the Egg. I've found that after 3 - 4 days sitting in pouring rain without a cover, it takes longer to get up to temperature. So keeping it covered will make it start faster.[p]Also, if you live where it freezes, rain can get into the gasket and then freeze solid. Likewise, freezing rain can seal it shut. Which is another reason why having a torch for lighting can come in handy.[p]gdenby

• duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Options
    Jeeves,
    I purchased the high end extra large egg cover for my egg table and it leaks along the seams.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Other Wise,[p] Unless you get deluged you really don't need a cover. The weight of the lid will keep the gasket from wicking up water. The dome thermometer can take the moisture.[p]I suggest that you keep the DFMT (Daisy Wheel) dry. I usually put mine in the egg after the cook. This keeps it dry and as the egg started to cool off it keeps the daisy wheel clean and seasoned. [p]As Richard said Lump is essentially charred wood. Let it dry and use it. [p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    duckegg,[p] Go to a camping equipment supply store like REI and get the tent sealer.[p]
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    duckegg,[p]The $7 weber works great for the large... I'm thinking about 'pickup up' a keg holder - need to check the measurements first...
  • Other Wise,[p]Really? We're supposed to cover our Eggs?[p]Mine have been sitting out in the open, one for over a year. Looks and works like new...[p]Is there something I don't know? Water is going to melt the ceramic glaze?[p]Hmmmmmm....[p]This could derail my plans for a Mid-Winter Yule Fest...[p]~ Broc

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Other Wise,[p]Great to meet you too. I stood there with you and TB while we all lost the raffles.[p]Don't sweat the rain man. Both of mine have been uncovered all summer. I used to keep the large covered, but it was just a hassle and I usually left the cover off when it was cooling overnight anyway.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Fidel,
    Which is why my cover has long since hit the landfill.[p]Moisture in the thermometer will be fine. They don't last forever anyway.[p]I've got a large that has sat uncovered for most of its 9 years.

• Other Wise
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,
    Thanks for the response! I feel much better knowing it's a "suggestion" and not a necessity ! When it comes to covering the egg....all is right in the world now (mine anyway!)

• Other Wise
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    Thanks for the reassurance. I guess two days of rain won't hurt ! ha ha ! I love my egg and wanted to make sure it would last ! Silly me !

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Other Wise,
    I've noticed my green dome top has faded a little in color, from sunshine I guess?
    and the bolts on my side tables have rusted some...
    I kept a cover over it first year and it looked spotless, now it has not had a cover on it for 2 years or so, and I see rust on the bolts... so over time - a cover may have prevented it somewhat -

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Other Wise,[p] Silly human!! Ceramic laughs at water.. :) [p]Have you named the egg yet? Fess up...[p]
  • Other Wise
    Options
    ChuckGGa,
    Thanks for the tip ! I will probably use something to cover until I get one, I want to keep the bolts looking good !

• Other Wise
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    You are reading my mind..I must confess I have a name for it....Jaba from Star Wars ! That was the first name that seemed funny and truthful ! Sort of what Jaba looked like when he was getting choked by the chain! ha ha! Don't tell anyone !

• Other Wise
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Awesome Thanks ! That makes me feel sooo much better ! I like the idea with the daisy wheel ! Never would have thought of that....

• Other Wise
    Options
    gdenby,
    Thanks! I used to live in OH but now I live in TN so it's cool now...I will keep that in mind Thanks !

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Other WIse,[p] You just did :)[p]Just to make you feel better I have Humpty (cause he had a great fall), Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum, M'Egg and Miss Penny.[p]Yep 5 of them..[p]Here is four of them all in a row.[p]kitchen-2.jpg[p]Twiddle Dum is missing and yes that is Bente in the back. He was looking for his recliner..[p]
  • Other Wise
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Thanks for the heads up ! I was concerned but I will probably get a cover because I want mine to last forever ! Unrealistic but as long as possible ! Thanks!

• Other Wise
    Options
    duckegg,
    Oh boy. Maybe I will have to create a cover to keep that from happening. Nice to know that! thanks so much for responding to my question !

• Other Wise
    Options
    eddiemac,
    Thanks very much for your response and reassurance. I will make sure I stay on and probably ask lots of question. BENTE is my best friend and he is another great resource. I know I'll be wearing everyone out with my questions ! ha ha !

• Other Wise
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks for the tip! Everyone has been great answering my questions. I love this site...I will be back often, with lots of questions!

• Other Wise
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    That's awesome ! Did know if I met you or not but I thought I might have?! Terry loves his recliner and was probably missing it! Love the XL eggs, you are quite an Egghead ! thanks for the pix !

• EggspertMN
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,
    mine's bee out for 12 years. uncovered. it's the table that gets so grody.[p]M

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Other Wise,
    he was sitting in the chair sleeping next to us while the raffell was going on[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Egg-N-Tino
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p] That is funny. I thought I was the only weird one that named their egg. Named my egg to my handle on this site (Egg-N-Tino). Just got the custom handle for it from the Lawn Ranger, so he is officially part of the family. [p]Thought I would chime in, been lurking for awhile.[p]Egg-N-Tino
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Egg - N - Tino,[p] Nope not the only one.. There are a least two or three that kiss theirs good night. I caught more then one petting their egg too.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Other Wise,[p] What Bente said :)[p]ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ[p]
  • Other Wise,This is my take on the vinyl cover. My large BGE costs more than my refrigerator and I've always been a believer in taking care of your tools. I use a cover and, yes it is inconvenient but it protects my investment and besides cooking on the egg is inconvenient: firing up the lump, bringing it to the right temp and then keeping it there, cleaning out the ask, cleaning the grid, etc. The cover is just a part of keeping the egg in the special place it holds in my heart.