Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Recipes?

Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to cook up some pulled pork for the holidays. I'd appreciate any info from you guys that have done these, as this will be my first. Also, any sauce recommendations would be great! Thanks in advance!
Danny

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    DannyC,
    My personal favorite is Elder Wards North Carolina Pulled pork. Recipe is found in the recipe section of the forum. I like the traditional North Carolina sauce. He has step by step directions on how to prepare. Only thing, don't follow his directions about building the fire. He says to sort out the lump by size - it is not required. Just dump in the lump.[p]Mr Beer

• DannyC,[p] I'd also offer my rub and sauce as listed in the recipes section.[p]MikeO
  • Mr Beer,
    Thanks! I'll check it out.[p]Danny

• DannyC,
    IMHO, if you're willing to gamble on an 18-20 hour cook coming off smooth (and uninterrupted) til it's ready to pull off the Egg, I would at least put pieces of lump on your bottom grate and next to the sidewalls of the firebox, that were appreciably larger than the airholes they're covering. That way there's less likelihood of smaller chuncks falling into the airholes and cutting off the necessary airflow/proper rate of burn. Especially while you're asleep! Anyway, all recommended recipes and prep methods are delicious! Bon Eggetit!!! Big Murth

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_040900_051502_small.jpg
    <p />DannyC, check out the link - I just bought an 8lb Boston Butt that will be done in the next 2 weeks. The pictures may help you get through until you BBQ yours.[p]BTW - I've always used the 'dump-and-pour' method for sizing lump - dump it in and let it find it's place. With that said, I have always started a long cook with fresh lump - no left overs from previous cooks. :~}
    [ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • DannyC,[p]I'm in agreement with my southern neighbor, Big Murth. I don't go as far as Elder Ward when it comes to lump preparation. I was having serious issues with maintaining long cooks. I now clean out my firebox of all lump and remove all ash. Then I load in some big pieces, fit in some medium size pieces by hand, and then fill up my to the top of the firebox with my scoop, including my previously used lump. I then use only one fire starter in the middle. Elder Ward's principal, simplified, works for me. [p]The principal is that the fire will grow out and down gradually. The larger coals below will support the ash and prevent it from clogging the holes.[p]CC
  • DannyC,[p]My first pulled pork experience taught me much about the process. Elder Ward's process is good reading and IMHO something to aspire to reach, but unrealistic for anyone's first cook. I modified the process and had excellent results, based on many comments gleaned from this forum.[p]Cook the meat slowly. This is great advise, but my experience is that 200 or under is nearly impossible for any but the best or the lucky. My goal was to keep the temps under 250 and I didn't mess with lump sorting or any of that process.[p]Cook the meat for a long time. I sometime will attempt a 24 hour plus cook, but I haven't found that necessary or desirable for my eating pleasure. I smoked my pork for about 8 hours at the above temps, resulting in a meat temp of about 170. I understand that most of the smoke flavor is below 140, so I believe I gained the benefit of the system.[p]Cook the meat to an internal temp of 200. I believe this process is critical to get pulled pork rather than chunks or cut pieces of wonderful pork. To reach this level, I wrapped the meat in foil and put in my oven at 350 until the meat temp was 200 (another couple hours). The foil kept the meat moist, the meat pulled wonderfully, and the flavor was out of this world.[p]Every BGE purist will tell you that I cheated myself and the process using this approach. I am convinced that if midnight grill checking is desirable, then I cheated myself of that pleasure, instead sleeping without a worry. However, if the objective is to eat the best meat possible, I am not sure how to improve.[p]I have used this technique twice since I bought my large BGE on 9-11-01. Each time I have done 5 shoulders weighing about 4 pounds each. I have used different rubs and sauces and think that each has different flavors, but I am not convinced that one is better, but none have been bad. My favorite was the "slap your momma's butt" rub, but the name may be what sold me on the flavor.[p]Sorry for the long post. Happy eating.[p]Buckeye Bill