Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockfish / Striped Bass

Options
CampyMan
CampyMan Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Folks[p]Going fishing tomorrow on the Chesapeake and I'm planning on bringing back some sweet rockfish. But I've never cooked any - would you just do it on a cedar plank with a little Dizzy Pig rub? Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.[p]CampyMan

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    CampyMan, You're right on as far as calling them sweet! For that reason, I've always stuck to the basics and baked or broiled them with lemon, butter, wine and perhaps a hint of seasoning. It's hard to improve on such a good thing! I envy you! 8 - )[p]Rascal

• CampyMan
    Options
    Rascal,[p]Thanks for the info - I'm hoping that it doesn't rain - we don't get any rain in MD all summer long and now they're calling for rain - keep your fingers crossed - NO RAIN!!![p]CampyMan

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    Rascal,
    ive only cooked striper once. used a gasser, layed down a bed of rock weed and put the fillet on top, poured some good margarita mix on it soaking the seaweed and steamed it on the grill. was very good, was caught, filleted, and on the grill within five minutes. ive got a great place for catching stripers in maine, knee deep water, site casting flies to pods of fish on the incoming tide. havent been there in a few years, i wondr if they are still in close or migrated south of there yet.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    CampyMan,
    The rain is going to be light and they still feed in the rain drops.Fishing in dirty water is a differfent story.Hope you fill up the cooler.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    CampyMan,[p]The best day I ever had fishing for stripers was a few years ago on South Carolina's Lake Murray. Light drizzle all day and we hooked up on almost every cast. They were in the process of draining the lake at the time for some dam repairs, so that may have contributed to it a bit, but I wore my arms out catching so many that day.
  • CampyMan,
    When I do salmon I use cedar planks,but for the more delicate fish like bass,halibut or tilapia,Iuse alder plank and just use Weber grind and grill zesty lemon seasoning like a rub.Iraise my own basil and place several wrinkled up leaves under and on top.I cook it at 350 dome temp. for about 30 min.For a really good side I take four or five stalks of asparagus stuck together with cream cheese and wrapped with prosciutto on a plank right beside the fish.
    Good stuff.
    Jim