Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison recipes

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have had a successful year with venison in the area and the guys want me to green egg some venison. I am reluctant to commit to this task because the venison is low fat and i feel the green egg will not do justice to the meat. So i need a best recipe for fresh venison and the preferred cut. We have any cut you all recommend. Just want a super good recipe to do the venison justice.
Regards Z-MAN

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Z-MAN, I have a wonderful marinade recipe for venison which I will post this evening. My father-in-law is an avid hunter and the recipe made for the best venison he'd ever tasted. JCA

• J Appledog,[p]It's real easy. Get a chunk of backstrap[p]coat with olive oil, kosher salt, peppar, and garlic powder.[p]Heat egg to 700 plus degrees. Throw in a chunk of hickory.[p]2 minutes a side
    3 minutes a side with the dampers all closed up.[p]Done.[p][p]

• J Appledog
    Options
    I hear you, David Sutera; but I was under the impression that he needs to WOW the mighty hunters. A great marinade or an exquisite brine will make all the difference between a good meal & a great one. I have been making & selling sauces & marinades since 1988, with greatness (and quality) being my goal. I get great satisfaction when I can share what I've learned in my trials &/or travels. (All but the allspice wood & berries....!)[p]I will post the marinade recipe in a separate post.[p]Bone Appétit! JCA
    [ul][li]Unleash the Flavor![/ul]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    David Sutera,
    I totally agree David and the only thing better is to fillet out the true tenderloin from the inside of the rib cage and cook as above. Maybe a little shorter. A good char on the outside and 121 rare inside.
    I would like to read Ms Dogs marinade post also. Where we live it's pretty much game before grocery store meat so I'm always collecting especially game recipes.
    Regards,
    DTM
    P.S.
    Now if you can ever get an elk or moose tenderloin your really eating high on the hog.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Z-MAN,[p]I got this direct from DTM. This was wonderful. I have plagarized his post to me in it's entirety:[p]- Mike[p]======================
    The best hinquarter recipe I have done is a Big Bob Gibson's of Alabama BBQ fame; modified.[p]Venison hind
    olive oil
    smashed garlic and onion
    a little salt
    a lot of pepper[p]Cut and trim fat and silver skin.
    Power rub the above into every crease
    and muscle union you can.[p]Smoke at 225-250 for 3 maybe 4 hours.
    Take off and rough slice/chunk into
    pieces 1/2 to 3/4 in thick.
    Rub on more oil mix.
    Plop in a foil pan.
    Smother with your best sauce.
    Plenty of braising liquid.
    Cover the pan w/ more foil
    and back on @ same temp for another 4-5
    hours.
    Taste for dryness and cut the chunks smaller
    and cook awhile more if so.
    Sandwich up.
    Let us know what you do.
    DTM [p]

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    J Appledog, Still waiting, I'm supposed to smoke a couple of venison roasts for the neighborhood Christmas party Saturday. Most of us know to sear a venison filet, needs to be rare, now about receipes for roasts please

• J Appledog
    Options
    It's posted above, Gordy! The post with the French title.... JCA

• J Appledog,[p]It all comes down to the quality of your product. If you have properly cared for venison that has been aged to perfection..it is a criminal offense to marinade it in anything. If you have a animal that was stressed before it was harvested or perhaps a lower quality cut of meat then yes marinades are fine. Proper cooking temperature/time and good meat makes for the WOW...marinade don't make the meat... you can spray paint a turd but its still a turd...[p]