Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Hammy" pork loin??

Options
mb168
mb168 Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I cooked a large pork loin, about 5lbs, that came out a little "hammy." I've seen others talk about doing something different so their meat doesn't come out this way, now I'm wishing I had paid attention to it. What do you do to keep this from happening? It was VERY moist but pretty much had the texture and taste of a ham. Cooked indirect 350-400 until temp read 145 on my cable thermo but when I checked with a thermopen (thanks mollyshark) I had readings as high as 157 and low as 140. No part of it was dry in any way.

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    mb168,[p]When did you apply rubs if at all?

• mb168,
    check the label to see if it's "enhanced" with a salt solution, 10-15%. if it is, don't buy it

• mb168
    Options
    BYC,[p]no rub, I only used salt and pepper to start. After internal temp got around 105 I put a light coat of a new sauce I got this weekend at the Cherokee Pignic in Canton Ga. (I'd have been at eggtoberfest if I had registered when I woke up that morning.)
  • Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Guaranteed, that was the issue. This is why I don't buy meat at Wally World. It is infused with water and msg. Which indeed gives a "hammy" taste.
    Ditto the poultry there.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mb168,[p] Don't buy pork that is "enhanced" The enhancement is a Saline Solution (Salt) Pork + Salt + Heat = HAM.
  • dover_gal,
    prairie fresh pork loins from sam's are not "enhanced"
    (and are dang good if prepared in my egg!)[p]if i see that word "enhanved" anywhere on the package, or something similar, i walk[p]check out the link below

[ul][li]"enhanced pork"[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01740.jpg
    <p />mb168,[p]When I hear things like "hammy", VERY moist, texture and taste of a ham, No part of it was dry in any way. I would have to agree with Rick, I bet that loin was juiced. At the store, look for the words "Natural Pork" or "Fresh Pork".[p]I often home brine pork loins, but my solution is all natural and the times and temps are controlled. I just hate the enhanced stuff.[p]~thirdeye~ [p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    mb168,[p]Then it was not the rub although factory enhanced or salting too soon will create a hammy end-product. Did you attend the Canton, GA competition? We were going to compete but the Abbeville event and the upcoming Carolina QCup took all of our time. I understand there was only one team from SC---Bare Bonze. We plan to be there next year

• mb168
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]It came from Kroger but the bag is in the bottom of the trash, not worth digging out but I'll keep an eye out for that. Actually the wife bought this one so I couldn't have done anything about it at that point. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    mb168,
    I made one this weekend stuffed w/ apricots and pineapple. Sure enough mine was hammy also. It came from Kroger and alas I tossed the bag it came in. Lesson learned, No enhanced pork!