Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Brick Chicken

Options
Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
marinade-chicken.JPG
<p /> Well, it's been a while since I posted any of my experiments, so this was our dinner tonight. Barb bought me another cookbook on Sat.(How To Grill). Wonder if she is trying to tell me something. LOL
Anyhow, took some of my small bricks & covered them in tinfoil to protect the food. Placed chicken in marinade of garlic,rosemary,olive oil,lemon juice, salt & pepper for 1 hr. or so.
Got med egg up to 450F,oiled grill, placed 4 pieces (2 breasts cut in half)on the grill & layed bricks on top of each piece. Cooked for 2 mins. & turned breasts 90 deg on the same side. By doing this, you will get deep grill marks on each side. Turn over, place the bricks back onto the chicken & repeat 90 deg turn in two mins. Total cooking time will depend on the thickness of the breast.
Nice look & flavour, worth the try.[p]Earl

Comments

• Earl
    Options
    cooked-chicken.JPG
    <p />Earl,
    This is the final product with an accompaniment of egg noodle pasta , topped with grilled portabello mushrooms, marinated mushrooms & a side of red & yellow hot peppers.[p]Earl

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Earl,[p]Those look great. Were the bricks you were using the splits (4" x 8" x 1.25") or a thinner brick?[p]Carl T

• Earl
    Options
    Carl T,
    You'r right, i have two boxes of bricks, some are thinner than 1.25, so i added more & wrapped in foil. I did try to have different weights wrapped up, so i would have a chance to see what the outcome would be, I will say this much, i will never be a scientst, i forgot to pay attention to which bricks were on which chicken. I remembered this as we were doing the dishes. LOL
    All the breasts were moist, except for the thin ends.
    I also forgot to mention that i did read a post from another form member mentioning fire brick chicken some time back, but I can't remember who it was, or how it turned out.[p]Earl

• Earl
    Options
    Earl,
    Just to clarify, cooking times in total were 4mins per side. After first two mins, turn 90deg on same side, then 2mins later, turn over & repeat the 2mins plus 2mins.[p]Earl

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Earl,
    Were the fire bricks cold or did you pre-heat them?
    Fireball

• Earl
    Options
    Fireball,
    I did not pre-heat, just wrapped them up & layed them on top of the chicken. Next time, i will pre heat & see what happens.[p]Earl

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Earl,
    My guess it should reduce the cooking time. I think I will try this one todayor tommorrow.
    Fireball[p]