Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lemon grass questions

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nature Boy or anyone else who can help.
I am planning to try one of Nature Boy's recipes for chicken on Monday so I went to our local Asian market to buy lemon grass for the first time. They had 7 packages which had from three to eight stalks per package though I only need one stalk. The produce itself ranged from green in a couple packages to tan to brown and dry looking in the others. What "color" should I buy? Do you just strip away the brown stuff or what? Can the extra stalks be saved for a while and if so, how? Thanks and I hope to get an answer soon so I can get back to the market yet today.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    I cooked NB's country ribs a few weeks ago and used Lemon grass.I bought it at the Fresh Market,it had a pretty green color.I stripped off the little limbs and leaves and cut it into 2 inch strips and ran it through the food chopper.I put the left over in a foodsaver bag...Still looks good.
    Larry

• RRP,[p]From a Google search, Cooks' Illustrated - [p]"Preparing Lemongrass: The tender heart of the long lemongrass stalk is used to flavor many Vietnamese and Thai broths, marinades and sauces. Unless lemongrass is very fresh and can be minced, it is generally removed before serving, much like bay leaves. When buying lemongrass, look for green stalks (not brown) that are firm and fragrant. Trim the dry leafy top (this part is usually green) and the tough bottom of each stalk. Peel and discard dry outer layer until the moist, tender center is exposed. Smash the peeled stalk with the side of a heavy knife. Cut the smashed stalk into long strips that can be removed when the dish is finished cooking. Freeze extra strips for later use."[p]I think NB uses finely chopped or process lemongrass in many of his dishes. I followed one of his recipes and found the lemongrass, even though it was green, much too fibrous and tough, detracting from the dish. Next time, I will follow the directions above, flavoring the dish with the strips of lemongrass, then removing them before serving.[p]NB said that was okay to do. :-)[p]Lee
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy QSis,
    Yeah, I have been playing around with cutting larger strips as well..or more of a coarse chop. Some remains in the marinade after I pull the meat out, and some falls off while cooking. The rest can be eaten around. After cooking it does seem to be tender enough that it is not chewy. When I blend until fluffy, there is a pulpy look to parts of the finished meat. It is not super attractive, but if you remove the larger deposits of the pulp while cooking...it helps.[p]Good info in your post. Thanks.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RRP,
    Great info already! Yeah, buy the freshest looking bunch. The stalks you don;t use freeze nicely. Especially if you have a foodsaver. It won't last but a week or two in the fridge.[p]Enjoy it, and please let me know how it works for you.[p]Well....it's beer thirty. Our grass started growing again. It is in the 70s here today, so I am gonna grab me a brewskie and hop on the tractor.
    Have a great one.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Nature Boy et. al.
    Well I got back to the shop and bought a nice green set of three stalks. If I slice it crosswise in say 1/8th discs and then blend all the ingredients will the pulp problem go away or not? Is it gritty or something? Guess until I try it I won't know.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RRP,
    No. Not gritty. Just a little gritty looking if you blend too much. Still experimenting, but I have been slicing once longwise down the middle, then cutting into 1/8 inch slices. If you have a mortar/pestal, throw it in there after cutting, and pound it up a little to get the flavors out. Or pulse in in your food processor a few times. [p]When you pull from the marinade, just flick off the large areas of lemongrass pieces, or as you are cooking knock any large pieces off. They will have done their job of leaving some righteous flavor behind. If you eat some pieces that are left, you probably won't even notice anything.[p]Good luck!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com