Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FIRST COOK1

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to Baptise this thing!!! First cook on my new large Egg. Don't want to ruin expensive cuts, so went with boneless skinless chicken breasts. What do you recommend for temp/time? Thanks.

Comments

• Big Murth
    Options
    j.k.,
    Don't think these need as much searing/sealing action as a lamb chop or a good steak...so, I'd throw them on the grill at a stabilized 400 or so, and give them about 4-5 minutes a side. After the last flip, maybe shut down the air top and bottom and let them dwell for a minute or two (being very careful to open the dome slowly to prevent a flashback when you pull them off)--have you got some spice/rub or marinade happening? A little smoke wood or some chips---can't hurt!!
    congratulations on your new Egg. And commendations for plugging into the Forum, which is your best source of info and help, present post excepted. Happy Egging--Big Murth

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    j.k.,[p]Do something simple. Your first two-four cooks will be challenges in fire temp maintanence. Don't add extra problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep it to hamburgers, pork tenderloins, or steaks. Forget harder things until you get holding temps within 100 degrees. Add more lump than you think you will need in 3 cooks and you are close to what you should have in the firebox. You can't add too much so addd more than you think you need. You will snuff out the fire when done by removing the slide daisy top and placing the rain cap on and closing the bottom vent. The remaining lump charcoal will be ready to use next time after a stir and some fresh lump added.[p]Have fun - ask questions[p]Tim

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    j.k.,
    I cook mine in the 300°-350° range..you will learn to play with rubs and marinades later...but I kinda agree with Tim M..go for the simple stuff for the first couple cooks..[p]Wess

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    j.k.,[p]My first cook was done under close supervision of a long-time BGE owner. He had me put in lots of lump, like Tim indicates, and then light the grill. We opened the bottom full and left the tops off. The fire started and rose in temp. After the fire was established we spread it some and let the temp soar to the 600 - 700 range. I then put the daisy top (bottom vent lleft wide open) on with the slide closed and the daisy wheel vents open. The fire calmed and the temp went to the 350 - 400 range. This exercise showed me the importance of lots of lump, the lighting technique and responsiveness of the BGE to good air flow, and the control gained from limiting air movement.[p]Now take the chicken breasts and treat them like you used to, don't try a new recipe now. Put them on and grill (350 - 400 temp) for about 5 min per side. Sometimes, I shut down both vents after turning and leave them for 10 min before removing. This technique buys time if the table or eaters aren't ready, or if I just poured a cold one that needs finished before the meal![p]The only complaints I have had from repeated efforts with this method is that there isn't enough chicken and the meat is too juicy! I guess I will just have to learn.[p]I am sure you can get lots of better and much fancier techniques from others, but this simple technique helped begin to teach me about temp control and resulted in a great meal. [p]Good luck![p]Buckeye Bill

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    j.k.,[p]I know you've probably made 2 meals since posting this, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 bits.[p]I like chicken cooked between 325 and 350, but no higher than 350. I also prefer to use a bone in chicken breast, where I cook it almost the entire time with the bone down. This gives maximum protection against flair ups/burning (which really has never been a problem, but it's a carry over from my old gas grill days). [p]Last, if you don't have a Polder, or similar thermometer, you'd want to get one. Then you just cook at 325 until the Polder tells you you are done. With chicken I don't like to take chances about doneness, and I don't like to overcook it, so the Polder protects me from both. Plus it's so usefull for all the low and slow's anyway, it's basically a must have.[p]Regarding fire starting, all the advice here is good. Lots of lump is the answer. For chicken, one or two pieces of smoking wood will be enough. You can add that one the fire, when the temp gets up to 250 or so, to get a good smoke on the chicken.[p]The last thing to be prepared for, if you never eaten Egged food, is that there's a lot of pink meat coming off your BGE. This really concerned my wife. I mean really concerned her...especially with chicken. But that's just the smoke doing it's job. Again, with the Polder you'll know it's cooked, so trust it and enjoy the sweet "pink" food. BTW, my kids know that the pink is the best part...they are always asking for the pink.[p]Get back to us with some results,[p]--sdb
  • Buckeye Bill,[p]I aggree 100% on that method.... and I use this method often... I guess you could call it the wide open daisy wheel and wide open bottom vent method :) One thing though is that if you see smoke comming out of the bottom vent .. especially with small flashes of flame... DO NOT JUST POP OPEN THE DOME ! That is unless you want to loose all your arm hair :) [p]Before you open it... shut down the bottom vent 90% to control the temp rather than relying on the daisy and open up the daisy/slider all the way or remove the daisy all together to let all the smoke out for a minute... and or burp the lid a few times before opening. [p]Flashbacks are a little scary. :) You could be startled and drop/crack the lid or worse. The puffs of smoke and or flame coming out the bottom vent is a very good indicator of a flashback condition... the egg is full of smoke..vaporized fuel.. and is starving for oxygen ... you dont want to pop open the lid when it is in this condition.[p]Just something to look for if you run with the bottom vent wide open and use the daisy only to regulate airflow & temp. You can control the temp with either control...but it seems the daisy only method... with bottom vent wide open.. has a tendency to create a flashback condition. [p]It doesn't seem to happen when you use the bottom vent to regulate it nearly as much. But that daisy/slider is a wonderful thing... I love it. I know I will never fry my digital thermometer as I cant get past 375 deg. with it on unless I open the daisy slider. It's a great feature. BB[p]Hope this helps... Happy Egging :) BB [p] [p]