Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wheee!! Overnighting a butt in a storm!!

AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started my 6lb butt last night at about 8pm, then I checked the weather. It said we were going to get a storm today so I just crossed my fingers & hoped for the best.[p]I woke up this morning to howling wind (gusts are at about 55-65mph right now), and I thought - oh crap, I hope the egg didnt tip over!! I went downstairs, and there it was out on the patio happily chugging away at 270 degrees. I just love my egg!! :)[p]Here's a snippet from the weather forecast today:
High Wind Warning now in effect until 6 PM ADT this afternoon... Strong southeast winds will develop this morning as a low pressure moves north up the coast. Expect winds to 40 mph with gusts to 75 mph. Rain heavy at times with up to one inch falling through noon.

[ul][li]more of the forecast[/ul]

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    AlaskanC,[p]What, no snow?[p]With those gust, may want to "batten down the hatches" so to speak.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dsc03976L.jpg
    <p />AlaskanC,[p]I see I'm not the only one cooking in adverse conditions.... I just got through knocking snow off my green house. It looked like an igloo this morning. [p]My pastrami is just about ready to go on. How soon will your butt be ready? [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AlaskanC
    thirdeye,
    Geez - I wish we had snow too! It would cover up all the junk that is blowing around in my yard!! lol[p]I think the butt is probably ready to come off right now, but I am in no hurry. Will it dry out if I leave it on too long? I put it on at around 8 last night, so its been cooking at about 270 for about 13.5 hours.[p]oh hell I should probably go pull it and foil it... ;)

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    AlaskanC,[p]That wind sounds like bad news for an egg, but sounds like yours is chugging away... That does help me get an idea of how much wind it would take to move the egg (or not), since we are in hurricane season here in Mississippi...[p]If you are at home, does that mean that you did not get to attend the fest in Atlanta? I have been offline, with work, for a couple of weeks, so still catching up...[p]I am attempting to smoke a turkey breast, for the first time, as a trial run for the family Thanksgiving... It smells good, so hopefully, it will taste good. Using Apple chips for the first go round...[p]See ya...
    ...AnnaG...

• AlaskanC
    AnnaG,[p]I didn't make it to eggtoberfest unfortunately. Probably a good thing though, 'cause no planes are making it into town due to the storm. I'd be stuck in Seattle instead of sitting here eggin' in the breeze! :)
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    AlaskanC,[p]Oh, that is too bad! You had the whole team alaska thing going on... But, there is nothing that you can do about Mother Nature. I hope they did you proud, anyway...[p]I am sure that everyone that attended had a great time, but I am sorry that you missed it... [p]See ya...
    ...AnnaG...