Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virginny Babybacks

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope yall are having a great friday. The weather here in Fairfax is clearing out just in time for the full moon. A slab of babybacks is on Mr. Big. Cut in half, on the extended grate over a dry drip pan. Temperaturenamometer reads 290 dome. Goin for a straight 4 hours or so sans foil. Lately I have been doing ribs without sauce, but misting with apple juice. Just found that with one slab cut in half, centered, I can mist the ribs with apple juice through the top opening without opening the lid. Shweeet.[p]Sipping on a Fullers Extra Special Bitter while I do this rough job of Qing! :=)[p]Great weekend at you folks. What's cookin?
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great. I just put a picnic roast on for tomorrow night. Sunday will be cornish game hens. Looks like JJ's recipe/method is a good one. TGIF and happy eggin'.[p]Kevin
  • PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Nature Boy,
    Just started an 8lb butt myself for early dinner tomorrow for a few friends.........PAGE

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Nature Boy,[p]Bagels Sunday morning. No decision on the rest of the weekend though.[p]Have a great one,
    Puj

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Nature Boy,
    2.5 lb London Broil. Marinading in italian dressing for a couple hours. Seared at 700* at 4 min a side with a 3-4 min. dwell time. Cut thin and served with crumbled blue cheese mixed with diced green onions. Plain, but mighty tasty.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Nature Boy,
    working late so keeing it simple. Ring bologna slit about half way through on entire length. Wrap in foil and put on 300deg egg. After about 6 min. open foil and balogna has opened up. Sprinkle minced garlic and pour some sweet hot mustard along opening. leave in foil but do not close up. cook another 6 min. Remove from foil and put over direct heat to brown slightly. Pour any juice from foil back over balogna and serve. Gives a nice case of dragon breath but nothing that a little schnaps can't cure. KB

• Nature Boy,[p] Sounds like a good evening. I have some pizza dough rising and am just heading out the door to light up the egg. This evening will be "What is in Jon's fridge pizza", always a favorite here. I see pepperoni, onions, black olives, bacon, and perhaps I can find a can of smoked oysters.[p]JET[p][p]
  • Nature Boy,
    Sounds good. Love to try a Fuller sometime.
    Re: your ribcook, yes at that temp for the time allowed, you're OK without the foil---I've never used it, and the last time out earlier this week, we did some killer babies, with just a few turns every 45 minutes or so...and some KC style sauce on for the last 20 minutes or so. By the time you read this...I'm sure it will all be history.
    What's cooking tonight? Hot pastrami sandwich on a French roll. I was going to burn some burgers on the Egg, but with only 1 at home tonight, she said, "no Dad, I'll just make myself a salad" Oh well. Last night was another killer lamb chop cook with the garlic peppercorn rub from Charcrust, augmented by a little thyme, spritzed with the olio d' oliva (thank you PAM). Tomorrow night: Apple Cider Pork Loin, in a casserole dish...but cooked on the Egg. I'll give you and everyone a full report. Have a great Sat./Sun, NB!! Big Murth w/a Bass Pale Ale.

• Grate Grills,
    Dude, I like your style! Gargling schnapps, eh? Yeah buddy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Nature wrote, ""Do you use the rack when you foil the ribs?""[p]My god man, you are going in unprotected!! No foil! I hope you know what you're doing. Good luck - my the rib Gods be with you.[p]I reheated a rack om my 1-1-1 ribs tonight for diner. I rarely have rib left-overs, but since #1 Son has gone to college (AKA "The best Day Of My Life") we don't have the left-over consumption that we use to. I had the first left overs in more than 2 years. Dang if left-over ribs aren't darn good.
    Becareful without that foil ---- dang fool. Stop taking these unnessesary risks.[p][p]Tim

• Tim M,
    Maybe I'm just enjoying the bliss of ignorance, but what's the big deal about foil, during a part of the rib cook?
    Clue me in brother!! Thanks, Big Murth (risk taking fool who's never foiled or been foiled)

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Nature Boy,[p]Well, the ribs sound great! Tomorrow I am eggin' a 10 lb. turkey. I had to go to the in-laws for turkey day. Not too bad. I just want to make one on the egg. [p]On Wednesday I made my brine. I let it sit in the fridge overnight to let those herbs compliment each other. And yesterday (Thursday) I put it in the brine completely for 12 hours. Took it out this morning at 8 AM. The plan is to keep the turkey wrapped in saran wrap for 24 hours. Mr. Turkey goes on Mr. Egg tomorrow (Saturday) at 8 AM.[p]Everyone have a great weekend!![p]My Brine:
    A Nice Fall Apple Brine[p]1 gallon of apple cider
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    - These ingredients were stirred and brought to a boil, then removed from heat. I removed the foam on top and then added the rest.
    3 oranges cut in half with the juice squeezed in
    3 macintosh apples cut in half
    12 whole cloves
    4 oz fresh ginger, sliced thin
    4 bay leaves
    5 large galic cloves, crushed[p]This was very aromatic and had a great smell. I let it get to about room temperature before putting in the fridge. Also, when I added the bird the next day the brine didn't completely cover it. I didn't want to add water and I didn't have any more cider. I did however have some apple juice. So I added it. A half gallon to which I had to add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup kosher salt. I mixed well. I can't wait till tomorrow! Again, everyone have a great weekend!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Big Murth, keep up the good work, you don`t need foil to make good ribs....I`m not knocking foil but for ribs you don`t need it.[p]For me it completly changes the texture of the meat to the point that I don`t care for it..[p]I like "pull" form the bone, not "fall off" the bone...its overdone when it falls off the bone.[p]Mop

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Murth,[p]Many here will say -- nahh, don't do this or that cause I said so. These are the small thinkers in the group, luckily we have only a few. If someone said "don't bother with this or that because it doesn't work, here's why" then that would be different, but they can't because it does work.[p]Using foil is the middle step in the 3-1-1 rib method. GFW didn't invent the method, but he promoted it and after hearing him rave about the results for a year, I tried it. I love it and while I can make fine ribs equally as good using an indirect method, the 3-1-1 method offers the same great results time after time while the indirect method can sometimes be "pull clean from the bone" sometimes but it's not as certain as when I use the 3-1-1 or some variant of it. Plus the 1 hr wrapped in foil can be stretched to 2 hours if you guests are late, then 1 hr more and you eat. [p]The key is to open the mind, try it, see if "you" like it and are willing to go the extra steps for the tenderest ribs you can have. I have tried many methods and this is what I use 75% of the time now. Guests inhale them - wife and kid can't eat enough of them. [p]Look at either of my websites for details or vist GFW's site and try it some time! Judge for yourself and you might find you like them. Heck, some people tell you not to do pizza on the Egg and what would it be like if we all listened to that opinion??? [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mop,
    I too have nothing against foil myself. I use the method on occasion for a change of pace on fat spares. Don't like it on babybacks.[p]What I see happening, though, is many new folks are giving up after a failure or two, and going right to the foil method. Then never trying without foil again. Which is fine, of course...if this is the texture they prefer. The key is to learn to cook great ribs without the foil...then compare to see what fits your personal tastes![p]Just some thoughts. The fog is as dense as pea soup in Virginny this mawnin.[p]Beers

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]I think many folks that initially try to cook their ribs direct and are not satisfied with the results do not realize that good ribs truly need a long, slow, cook. Patience and temperature control are the key words here.[p]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Mop:[p]I think many folks that have just started doing their own "Q" do not realize the subtle differences in done and over cooked regardless of method used.