Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone use the V rack for ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if any one actually used the V rack for ribs. It's great for turkey, butts and briskets, ect. but I have never used it for ribs. I assume it would work if you cut the racks into and fit them in the slots so the lid would close. But is there any advantage to using it on ribs, especially if you are using the 3/1/1.5 method.[p]Just wondering.........KT

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    6-11.jpg
    <p />KT,[p]You can sure use the V rack for ribs. I have a rib rack so most all my rib cooks are with it but my V rack looks pretty much like a rib rack if you flip it upside down. You could slip in 7-8 racks or half racks in it. There is no real right or wrong methods, just one you personally like or don't like. [p]Tim
  • KT,I use the v-rack inverted over a drip pan for ribs but really cannot answer if there is an advantage.

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Tim M,looks like we agree .You explained it much better and had a great picture. I do well to type. Go Salukis.

• Tim M,[p]Thanks, I usually go with them laying but thought it might soak up the smoke more evenly if I use the rack. [p]Do you use the rack when you foil the ribs? I would figure this could work, it would save space.[p]Have you ever seperated the cooks into two days? I have a big cook going this weekend and thought about smoking one day and foiling and direct the second. Any thoughts.[p]Thanks,[p]KT

• KT,[p]I use the V Rack (inverted) all of the time for ribs. I can't comment on foil since I prefer to do the ribs lo and slo. Usually takes anywhere from 5 to 7 hours.[p]Puj

• Tim M
    Options
    frankG,[p]Since only those who go to SIU-C know what a Saluki is, I assume you went there too.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    KT,[p]""Do you use the rack when you foil the ribs?""[p]I always use a rack when I have more than two racks (which I cut into 4 half racks). They will absorb smoke as long as it can move around the racks. When I put them in foil, I take 2-3 half racks and stack them then wrap them so they are 2-3 tall in the foil. I just lay them on the grid over the ceramic firebricks or the setter since they are now stacked in the foil I can put 5-6 full racks on the grid. The last hour is the tricky part since I like to get them all doing direct and facing the fire for the last hour.