Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken breast temps.

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions on cooking temps. and time on my boneless chicken breast soaked in a little rum and coated with Shake n Bake??? Lower and slower or higher and hotter???
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    New Bob,[p]I would prepare the Egg to cook indirect and cook exactly as the shake n' bake directions advise. Indirect provides an oven environment in your Egg.[p]It's been a bunch of years since I did a S&B cook (in the oven). I would like to hear of how you did it and your thoughts on the result.[p]Best of luck - the fun is in the experimenting,
    Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    New Bob,
    You want higher temps to brown the coating before the volatile meat inside overcooks. 375-400 indirect will probably be just right. Then again, like Spin mentioned, that is probably what the package says. When I cook breaded thighs, I use that temp range, and it is perfect for browned and perfectly cooked meat. If you elevate the chicken far enough over the drip pan, you should not even need to flip. Just keep the skin up.[p]I am pretty sure I have heard of a couple people here on the forum using Shake&Bake with success. [p]Keep us posted
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Sorry
    I just saw that you are using boneless breasts...duhh. I would go with a minimum of 400 for the boneless version.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Dang. Gotta stop thinking about this!
    A foil covered upside down platesetter, no drip pan, grate on legs of platesetter. Get an established 400, put on your boneless breastisses. and you are good to go. The lean breasts won't drip enough to need a drip pan. I am guessing 35-45 minutes the internal should be 165-170, and the coating should be a gloden brown.[p]You got a platesetter?
    have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    New Bob ,
    I have the best success with keeping boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist and tender when I first pound them to an even thickness..maybe 1/4 inch. That way, they cook quickly and evenly. I don't take the temperature, but I do cut into the meat to see that it's cooked through. This tip is from an issue of the magazine, Cook's Illustrated, that came out last Summer.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Spin, I'm with you, Shake and Bake (just for old time nostalgia) on the BGE. A couple of months ago we had a big crew over. The BGE was loaded (FULL) of chicken breasts. I don't think I let it get hot enough before putting on the boobs. It was so full the bottoms almost burned and the top half of Humpty wasn't getting hot enough. Indirect or raised would have worked better maybe? What do you think.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Gretl,
    Thank you for the great tip, my breast tasted salty to me, I have had that problem before. I hardly ever use salt so it would not take much for me to feel like that. I will have to try one with nothing on it. I don't have that problem with Cornish hens, it has to be something I'm doing.
    New Bob

• Nature Boy,[p]Just what kinda brown is this gloden? Is that short for green-loden?[p]Pete
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    gordy,[p]It sounds like your full load of breasts restricted enough airflow through your Egg to control the fire, rather than your vents. A raised grid (BGE makes a nice one) creats a second cooking level and is very useful when going for a large load. I would still keep the cook direct, moving the breasts around as needed.[p]Spin
  • Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Spin, TY, sounds like a plan, I just keep bragging on how easy Humpty is and guess it's making me lazy. Don't like to flip those boobs but once, LOL.