Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Those Lamb Lollipop things-how to cook?

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For one cook this weekend, I got me a frenched rack of lamb with the little tiny gobs of meat on the ends.[p] I don't need a recipe, I'm just wondering if I should leave them all stuck together and roast them or separate them and cook individually?[p]I was thinking I'd just roast them but then I thought they'd cook better if I separated them individually and cooked like steak.[p]I dunno. How best to do these?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    easier and more consistant results cooking it whole. theres a good writup on the dizzy pig site. pretty tough cooking thin slices of meat on a bone, one side will overcook and the bone side will come out near raw.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />Flashback Bob,[p]Follow the recipe on the DP website to the letter. I love the combination of Red Eye Express with lamb, and they don't last long on the dinner table.[p]Roudy

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesLambChops.html[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    LambMedley.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,[p]I think you may become a huge fan of them. They are simple to cook amd as others have said, the DP recipe is great and easy![p]We make them at least once a month and they are truely a treat![p]Smokey
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Smokey,
    are you guys vegatarians? i would need to eat the whole rack. : ) no way i could stop at two

fukahwee maine

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I usually make two or three racks and we end up eating four or five per person. I setup this plate just for this picture. I needed something for Woos day to hold my own with the amazing pictures from the the people of the forum.[p]My wife thinks I am crazy for taking more pictures of food that I do of the family. She may have a point, but I'm not ready to stop!![p]Smokey
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03073a.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,[p]Individually they would be harder to manage and not overcook. I'll do doubles for folks that want them medium and 3 or 4 rib sections for medium rare.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    good choice, bob. i love lamb.[p]one rack will serve one person.... if you have a frenched rack, keep it whole. sometimes BJ's sells the lollipops all frenched and cut apart, and you can get a bunch.[p]as a roast, it's essentially the prime-rib of lamb. as a lollipop, it's akin to a bone-in rib eye.[p]cook the same way as beef, but go rarer if you can.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    Yeah, I love lamb too but have been disappointed in the lack of flavor I've been getting from American Lamb.[p]Used to be all New Zealand lamb. now I can't find NZ lamb anywhere!

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Flashback Bob, Try rubbing them with some Grey Poupon Country Dijon. Sounds strange but you'll love it!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]That's surprising. When they first broke into the US market, one of the selling points of the New Zealand lamb was that it was mild tasting, unlike the strong mutton flavored US product. We've had Costco racks a couple times in the last month and I'm pretty sure they are still from NZ.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    i like the newzealand lamb better myself, but have had some from a local butcher with local lamb. look for Halal on the sign, we have one place in methuen that i know of that sells halal meats. better than costcos

fukahwee maine