Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood chunks/chips mid cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have suggestions for adding more wood chips/chunks mid-cook? During a recent rib cook, I had to drop small chips through the grate and hope they made it down past the inverted plate setter and other obstacles to the fire. No chance to add any chunks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[p]DMC

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    DMC,
    I dont understand !!!! is there some reason you cant just lift the plate setter and grill out and add your chunks right to the coals, thats what I have done if I ever add anything (lump/wood chunks) bear in mind that it has been posted many times that the smoke only penetrates the meat up until a given temp...I believe 140° internal was what was posted...so addinng wood for smoking later in the cook may just be wasting wood..IMO[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Thanks for the input. I had not heard about the smoke penetration limit of 140*. Otherwise, I guess my reticence to lift out the grid and platesetter was due to my relative newness to egging. Thanks for the tips.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    DMC,
    Just pick up a pair of good welding gloves and you can pick it up pretty much at any temp...you may not want to hold on to it to long..LOL..but can be done..feel free to ask anything..there are some great people here with a wealth of knowledge.[p]Wess

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    grid.jpg
    <p />DMC,
    I cut a few bars out of my grate using my handy Dremel tool ala TimM. Seems to work well.[p]Here's a pic from Tim's site:[p]- Mike

• Charcoal Mike,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll be hacking aways ASAP.