Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE for sale $650 OBO

Hangfire77
Hangfire77 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all I have had this BGE for a month or so now. I just can’t get the hang of it. I know its me and I just need practice but the family really is not impressed. I can’t get the hang of the temp and the food takes to long to cook. So any way if anyone is in the tidewater area of VA (VA beach Chesapeake ect.) and wants a large BGE that’s been used about 5 times with the nest and BGE cover email me. I paid over $800 for the setup. I am looking at a high end gas job so a trade is not out of the question.
Hangfire77@cox.net[p]Thanks
James

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Hangfire77,[p] How about a personal tutor? I am not all that far from Tidewater. [p] I guarantee you this if I can't get your family impressed with it I'll buy it.[p]
  • Hangfire77,
    I too am fairly new to egg cooking, but luckily I have caught on real quick. I have been reading Celtic Wolfs posts for some time now, and you should definitely accept the offer for some tutoring. Once you become good on the egg, you'll never think of cooking on gas again!

• Hangfire77,[p]Take Celtic Wolf up on the offer. He is very well respected here. Very generous btw Celtic Wolf.
  • Hangfire77,
    Firstly, you should take Celtic Wolf's generous offer. He will show you how to be an expert on the Egg! It shows you to what degree Eggheads will go to help another. [p]That being said, if you still don't want to keep that Egg, if you feel like taking a drive to our store (Near Reading, Pa. ) we'll take your egg in trade on a gasser ...if you must ...gulp ... just...email me off list if you really want to do this ....gulp.... We'll take every used Egg we can get our hands on. (make sure you call and speak to me first before you get in your car! )

[ul][li]Fred's Music & BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. [/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Hangfire77,[p]I got my Medium a little over a year ago. I feel your pain, brother! I was really coming to hate my Egg... for the reasons you gave.[p]Then, this past Spring, I discovered this forum, and some of the site members maintain -- and a sorta bald fella named Eggfoot, who walked me through the tulips, down the primrose path of Eggery...[p]Now, my Eggs [notice the plural] and I are wedded. Take my home! Take my wife! Take my kids![p]But leave me my Eggs![p]Now, if you choose not to allow your Irish HoundDog to tutor you -- send him to me! There's so much to learn, so little time![p]And he Be one-na the best, so they say --[p]~ Broc[p]

• Hangfire77,[p]Hey, I have had mine for about 60 days, want to visit us out west, heck you won't even have to buy my egg... LOL.[p]That is a nice offer, my friend. Hope hangfire77 takes you up on the offer.[p]Kent
  • Celtic Wolf,
    Now that is precisely the kind of selfless and generous offering that impressed the hell out of me two years ago and made me want to buy this beautiful cooker in the first place. Exactly the kind of thing that makes this a great place to be. [p]When a perfect stranger offers to come over to the house of an egg owner in need, give him free lessons in his spare time and cook a meal for the family!!!....what more could one ask for? [p]
    Well done![p]John

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Hangfire77,
    Did you get a tutor? We aren't ALL that far from you and maybe we could arrange a weekend to help out.[p]I'd love your Egg, but I think if you hang in there, you will be excited.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Hangfire77,
    it would of helped if you were here asking some questions in the beginning. the dome temp doesnt register temps at the grill, at the grill you are cooking at a lower temp and that is the major reason why things are taking longer for your cooks, you just need to raise the temps up a little, 25 to 30 degrees from what your used to. almost any recipe you find here is for dome temps so you dont have to change your temps for cooking. if you want to learn temp control, maybe try elder wards pulled pork before selling as the last meal. its an overnight cook, but you learn alot from it and any family will be impressed with the results. if your just using it as a grill for things like chicken, there is a good chance you never learned what a clean fire is verse a dirty one, makes a big difference in those types of cooks.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]We must not lose him to the gas (dark) side!
  • Hangfire77, DO NOT get rid of your egg! You WILL get the hang of it. Your family will claim they talked you into buying the egg, and try to take all the credit for the t-riffic food that you cook. All these people on the forum will help you get going. Oh,and be sure to take Celtic Wolf up on his offer. Good luck!

• Georgie
    Georgie Posts: 51
    Celtic Wolf,
    Wow, seriously, that is REALLY nice! Hangfire 77, I would accept that offer in a heartbeat! You can always sell it later if Celtic Wolf and you decide that you are a lost cause! :)

• Hangfire77,A number of us can certain appreciate what you are saying. The BGE is bothersome. Unlike a gas grill you have a lot of stuff to get used to. No flip a switch and toss on the meat. The BGE is many things but one thing it's not: convenient! You have to get the hang of getting the temperature right and then get it to stay there. You have to get used to building the charcoal correctly and then there is the task of cleaning out the ash. The learning curve is definitely longer than the competition. The BGE is more like golf, hunting, chess, rock climbing, hang gliding or gourmet cooking because more is required of the user. If you really want the great results you wil eventually get with the BGE it will take time, discipline, and the encouragement of those on this site. Whatever you decide will work out. Thanks for sharing this understandable frustration.

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Hangfire77,[p]I'm always amazed that when someone posts an egg for sale (doesn't happen often mind you) that the forum members rally around to try and convince the seller to give it another shot rather than pouncing on an opportunity to buy an egg at a discount. Lord knows a lot of us have more than one or are planning to grow our fleet.[p]Speaks to the sort of people that we have as members of this forum. I'm kinda proud to be part of this community. [p]I'll go back to work know before I get all choked up! :>)[p]Cheers,
    Braddog

• Sorry its taken me so long to respond I have worked two back to back shifts and I do not have internet access at work. Thanks for all the effort in getting me to stay. I will give wolf a shout and see what we work out. I hope it does I really would like to make this work. I did a lot of research on it before i bought but never in a million years thought I would have problems like this.[p]Thanks

• Hangfire77,[p]Nor did you probably anticipate support like this from the "CULT". Hang in there. Peter is an eggcelent mentor!

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Georgie,[p]If he cannot make it I am just a couple of hours up the road and driving to SC every 2 to 3 weeks. Being that Wolf and I both compete maybe we should both show and do a throw-down.

• Zombie thread alert!!!!! Lol it's been 5 years since this post. Since then I can't count the pounds of butts,chicken,steak.veggies ect that I have pulled off the egg. It was because of the help and"don't sell" support off this forum. I have done some of the best ribs EVER on the egg. Family loves it also. I just wanted to say thanks for the help and info off of here. Especially to Celtic Wolf for the offer. Thanks Guys James
  • Hah, I remember that post.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cool story just got my egg a few weeks ago....my time will come 

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Awesome thread and a great story. There are many wonderful people on this forum. Glad to hear you didn't get rid of your egg and are using it
  • Hey, James ... now that you've got some years under your belt, have you considered attending the 2nd annual "Eggs on the Beach" in Virginia Beach, this year (October 27th)? This fest is still in its infancy, but having people with experience ... especially someone who had to overcome some bumps early on in the process, would be a great asset to the fest. Check out vabeacheggfest.com, for more info!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • NO, NO, NO. Do NOT give up!!! It is not that hard. This forum will help you. Once you get the hang of it, you will never go back! The egg is so versatile, and will provide such moist and tender meat (that sounds so nasty - sorry) ALL you relatives will be so impressed.

Try a pork butt. They are easy. You need a good rub. Control temp to maybe 275. Easy. Or turbo cook at 325 or so. Temp of the egg is not that critical, just get close. Get a good thermometer. Don't need anything too fancy, maybe just a basic digital. You just have to cook to temp, not time. Cook to say 190 temp. Some folks say 200, but 190 is good. Pull with a fork. BBQ sauce as needed, but after you pull the pork.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
    LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hang in there. Worth it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2012
    Zombie thread!  This was a fun read.  Congratulations on hanging in there.  

Just an FYI to anyone just tuning in- this is an old thread from 2007 and the OP is just coming back to state he didn't sell ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DocWonmug said:
    NO, NO, NO. Do NOT give up!!! It is not that hard. This forum will help you. Once you get the hang of it, you will never go back! The egg is so versatile, and will provide such moist and tender meat (that sounds so nasty - sorry) ALL you relatives will be so impressed.

Try a pork butt. They are easy. You need a good rub. Control temp to maybe 275. Easy. Or turbo cook at 325 or so. Temp of the egg is not that critical, just get close. Get a good thermometer. Don't need anything too fancy, maybe just a basic digital. You just have to cook to temp, not time. Cook to say 190 temp. Some folks say 200, but 190 is good. Pull with a fork. BBQ sauce as needed, but after you pull the pork.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

somebody didn't read the whole thread...
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    What @Mighty_Quinn said.

This is a pretty neat '5 years later'.  Thank you for sharing!  Getting ready to do my first big cook for 40...doing 25 lbs. of shoulder for pulled pork.  This forum has been a life saver for me!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    This IS my favorite thread so far.  Very cool to bring it back after sooooo long with the nice epilogue.  Thank you for sharing!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hangfire77,
    Firstly, you should take Celtic Wolf's generous offer. He will show you how to be an expert on the Egg! It shows you to what degree Eggheads will go to help another. [p]That being said, if you still don't want to keep that Egg, if you feel like taking a drive to our store (Near Reading, Pa. ) we'll take your egg in trade on a gasser ...if you must ...gulp ... just...email me off list if you really want to do this ....gulp.... We'll take every used Egg we can get our hands on. (make sure you call and speak to me first before you get in your car! )

[ul][li]Fred's Music & BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. [/ul]
    Governor Mifflin class of 92 here.... how's Shillington these days? I remember Fred's music very well. When did you guys start selling BBQ stuff? 
  • Lol...don't hold your breath waiting for a response jimreed, the thread was bumped from 5 years ago and if you check Fred's profile, last time he logged in was sept '11.