Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many racks?

Options
Bigger
Bigger Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok. So, 15 or so folks comin' over on Saturday. Leaning towards Baby backs. How many racks should/can I do? I've got a large, will use a plate setter and drip pan. Can also put a second grate on top, and separate it with a few bricks. 6 racks, 9 racks???

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    20racks.jpg
    <p />Collard Greens,[p]Twenty.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • Collard Greens,[p]In my large last week did 2 beef on bottom grate and 3 Babys on top large grid. indirect with plate setter legs up and drip pan 1/2 full water to keep grease from smoking and adding bitter flavor. Used 1/4 pieces of fire brick and had 3 legs. Check the vertical clearance for the top grid before it is hot. Split the ribs in half and they fit fine. got a litle cozy, but you should be able to do 6-7 easily with some overlap.l

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    dems is 20 slabs![p]that = 60 racks!
    holy moly dassa lotta ribs

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That is a thing of beauty!! Give me a napkin...and stand back!

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Don't even need to close the lid, nothing is squeeking up through those cracks!!!
  • Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    Richard Fl,[p]It fed everyone? I've heard 1/2 rack per person - so I'd need 9 racks to be safe...it'll be crowded But, the more the merrier - especially if it's ribs.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Collard Greens,
    i find that 'normal' crowds (men/women) works out like this (if you have other food, slaw, hors d'oeuvres, etc.):[p]take one one whole slab, trimmed it st. louis style, and cut into three racks. the average person will eat two racks along with whatever else you are serving. you will have the trimmings left over, but i usually am full from eating the trimmings before i even sit down for the ribs themselves. hahaha[p]if you serve the trimmings as well, i would actually figure one whole slab (trimmed and cut into three racks) for TWO people, assuming again that you serve other food.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • City Slicker
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I am never posting a pic of a lowly 3 racks ever again. I would love to hear the story of this cook in some detail while my head is still shaking from side to side :)

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1605.jpg
    <p />Collard Greens,[p]I did thies three on top and three on the bottom Recipe to fallow.
    My Best,
    Ross

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/[/ul]
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Collard Greens,[p]Welcome to the forum bud - nice choice of a handle![p]I usually guage it by 3 people per slab - and add one for taking to the neighbors (or pulling the meat and saving for later)[p]Cheers,
    Cap'n