Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Olives - Thanx BBQfan1

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BBQfan1 sent me an e-mail which helped me in doing my first batch of smoked olives. They were a hit at Thanksgiving my brother asked if could take home the ones that were left once the turkey got served.[p]I am planning to do some more for Christmas along with some of the smoked deviled eggs, and smoked nuts. I believe the deviled eggs and olives can be done at the same time/temp. Anyone know if the nuts can be done at the same temps 180-200? For how long or how do you know the nuts are done? What type of nuts (pecans, almonds, cashews) and what style (roasted, nonroasted, salted, etc.)[p]Thanx,
Jeff

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Jethro, Glad to hear they went over well...Not that it happens very often, but if you have leftovers sometime, try this idea: Pit the olives (blacks or kalamatas work great; haven't tried this recipe with greens) til you have about a cup and a half's worth, mix with 2 cloves of chopped garlic, a tablespoon of dijon or creole mustard, a teaspoon of dried oregano, a few shakes of black pepper and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Blend in a food processor until smooth. This result is called a tapenade. You can either use it as a dip for toasted bread crisps, or spread it on a filleted pork loin and grill on the Egg. This is how I've used it in the past and it's great. Just cut and roll the loin at about 1/2" thickness until you have one rectangular sheet of pork. Spread the tapenade on and then re-roll the roast and tie. You can put strips of bacon on the outside for moisture/basting, but I didn't need it cooking in the moisture-retaining Egg. Just grilled direct at 350 until I had a bit of a seal to the outside, then indirect in V-rack for 45 mins or so, til 155 internal. Let rest 5-10 mins, then slice. A 'classy' and easy main dish!
    Qfan
    ps--sorry, haven't attempted the nuts yet, so I can't help ya there.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    BBQfan1,[p]That do sound good! I always envy you creative types, I rarely if ever come up with my own way to cook things. I just keep lookin here and using what everyone else comes up with.[p]Thanx Again,
    Jethro

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Jethro,
    Steven Raichlen's 'How to Grill', pg 117-121, 'How to Grill a Stuffed Pork Loin' ;)
    I just juggled a few ingredients, most notably going with the pre-smoked olives. My Italian brother in law had made a black olive tapenade with grilled Italian bread before, so the idea wasn't new to me; the stuffing of the pork loin, however, was inspired by Raichlen. I think even the most creative folks on here, such as Nature Boy, find the germ of their idea through books, articles, old family recipes or great food forums like this; it's just taking that idea and throwing your own twist on 'em. I think the tapenade stuffing would work well with chicken breast as well, but a thinner layer of stuffing so it doesn't overpower...
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Qfan
    I am still not quite there on enjoying the flavor of olives. Don't really mind olive oil, but olives on pizza is not great for my taste buds. This "tapenaede" stuff....does it have a big olive flavor when used as stuffing with pork? Just wondering. As with cilantro, I am working on a multi-year taste-bud acceptance program. Still not there yet, but starting to acquire the taste. As with music, it is the ones that take some getting used to that are the best. In 5 years, I will like olives.[p]Kind of you for the mention on the creative front. Only the creative side of my brain works well. The organized side is kaput. And you are right. It is a culmination of experiences that create the "germs of the ideas". This forum is a huge part of it.[p]beers to you. An best to the family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Nature Boy,
    LOL..."a multi-year taste-bud acceptance program" now that is one classic line...I guess i must be on a similar journey however I`m nowhere near as adventurous as you...YET..[p]Wess