Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deviled Eggs results

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoked the eggs for about 1 1/2 hrs., dome temp. between 150 and 170° over some cheery chips. My eggs turned different colors of tan, maybe too much smoke, put then in the fridge overnight, cut them in half and mixed the yolks with salt,pepper,chopped black olives,diced jalapeno peppers then mixed with miracle whip, stuffed back in the eggs and topped off with paprika. They turned out very good but I need to work on the brown appearance, very tasty, will do it again.
New Bob

Comments

• New Bob,
    Is this the recipe that Reg posted back to WessB with beginning of this month? If so, I copied it and was thinking about trying it myself. Yeah, the tannish appearance of the eggs might be a problem for some folks, but they must have tasted great. Maybe Reg or someone else will come in with their take on maintaining the whiteness.
    If nothing else, advertise these to your guests as contestants in a deviled egg taste competition, and hand them a blindfold first! Big Murth
    p.s. maybe some green food coloring would be apropos!!

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Big Murth, As one of the early 'disciples' of Reg's egg recipe; the golden/tan colour is what makes the difference between 'plain old' deviled eggs and 'new and innovative' smoked deviled eggs. Don't play it down; build it up! Different look? Yup! Different taste? Again, yup! If it really bothers you, try spraying outside with Pam or brushing with olive oil and rolling in a mild rub. Will cover the coppery colour.
    Qfan

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Big Murth,
    Yes, it is the same one except for the ingredients I put in the yolk mix. When I first put the eggs in the egg I had put them on a small porcelain vegetable tray (the kind with the holes in it) so now I had spotted eggs. I was supposed to put them on foil. I had a couple that were a little rubbery but I may have cooked them too long in the egg. I didn't throw any away and I'm picky. Give it a shot.
    New Bob

• Big Murth, hi guys . i don't think there is anything you can do about the color . mine come out slightly pinkish brown . one time our team took them to a comp (as give aways along with a variety of smoked cheese and olives) and the team next to us also had eggs they handed out to other competitors . after trying the "smoked" version they put the standard ones away . believe me the color didn't bother them ... reg