Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn Chowder Recipe

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some sweet corn from a farmer's market this weekend and I want to try making corn chowder, or maybe corn and chicken chowder tonight.[p]I've read a few recipes online. I might grill the corn and follow one of them, and maybe cook some boneless chicken thighs or breasts on the Egg and add it to the chowder. Anyone have any good recipes or tips for this?

Comments

• BluesnBBQ,[p]Here is one I make sometimes. Not on the BGE yet.
    check your mail also.[p]Chowder, Corn, Chicken, Aunt Mid's
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 Stick Butter or Margarine
    1/2 Chicken, Cooked, De-Boned
    1 1/2 Quart Chicken Stock
    1 Small Onion, Diced
    1 Rib Celery, Diced
    1 Carrot, Diced
    1/2 Green Pepper, Diced
    1 17 Ozs. Can Corn, Cream Style
    10 Ozs. Corn, Whole Kernel, Fresh or Frozen
    1 Pint Heavy Cream, Warmed
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    TOPPING
    French bread croutonscr
    Swiss Cheese Slices
    Parmesan Cheese

Procedure:
    1 Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan. Sauté onion, celery, carrot and green pepper until almost tender. Add flour, blend to make roux. Cook 5-10 minutes but do not brown. Blend in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add creaamed corn, return slowly to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer 15 minutes. Add corn kernels, season to taste. Cook until potatoes are just tender. Stir in heavy cream, adjust seasonings.
    2 To serve, place in individual oven-proof crockery soup bowls. Sprinkle with French bread croutons and cover each bowl with two slices of swiss cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, place under broiler until browned.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: Aunt Mid's, Orlando, Florida

[p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    i just wing it, but here in pennsylvania dutch country it is common place to add bacon and some potato to chicken corn chowder. i cook bacon in soup pot and remove, leave the fat, saute onion in bacon fat, crisp up the chicken thigh skin on the egg and then add them to the soup pot with water salt pepper celery parsnip turnip and parsly simmer til vegs are soft, strain stock, pick out chicken meat and discard everything else. add fresh celery carrot potato dice grilled corn and grilled diced red pepper and crumbled bacon to stock. cook till vegs are almost done add milk [1/2 stock 1/2 milk] and corn starch to thicken a bit.
    let us know what yoyu decide and how it turns out
    bill

• JackE
    JackE Posts: 6
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Your instructions talk about flour and potatoes but I don't see either in the ingredients list. How much of each?

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    bill,[p]I think I'm going to try a combination of what you posted with some ingredients/techniques I read about online.[p]Thanks![p]-Steve
  • JackE,[p]Thanks for the head's up! I have been doing it for so long I can not remember to add all items, must be age. The stick of butter will take about 1/3-1/2 cup flour. The roux is not made very dark coppery like in gumbo. and the potatoes cube about 1 inch square and add as many as you like

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    lets us know what you finally make and how it turned out. i am thinking of doing this in a dutch oven on the egg over the weekend.
    bill

• BluesnBBQ,[p]Here's a quick corn soup.[p]1 can cream of potato soup
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can creamed corn
    1/2 cup whole milk ( or cream if you want thicker soup )
    Salt and pepper[p]Mix all together, bring to boil. Serve in bowl and top with chopped green onions and crumbled bacon.[p]Not too bad when your in a hurry.[p]Can add smoked chicken. I sometimes add chili powder and a can of black beans to get a southwest variation.[p][p]

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Check your email.[p]Win
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Here's one of my favorites...it's out of Better Homes New Cook Book[p]5 slices Bacon
    1 medium onion thinly sliced and separated
    2 cups cooked or canned whole kernel corn
    1 cup diced cooked potatoes
    1 10.5 oz crm of mushroom soup
    2.5 cups milk
    1 tsp salt[p]Cook bacon and remove, pour off drippings reserving 3 Tblsp .Add onion and cook til lightly brown. Add remaining indredients and dash of pepper. Heat to boiling and reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Top each serving with crumbled bacon. You could also top with some shredded cheese too.
    Yummy.[p]
    As soon as it cools down here....I'm gonna make this.
    Good luck.[p]Kim

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    This is my recipe pretty much.
    However, for c'pny, you can add baby shrimps and small scallops. I bothered to make a main course subsequently with such a meal and it was a total waste, as all anyone wanted was the chowder. [p]