Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket is on, need advice

mb168
mb168 Posts: 265
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The brisket has been on all night. I woke up at 4:30 and the dome was at 260, meat was at 158, and went back to bed. Now at 6:30 my dome had dropped to 190 and meat was at 143. Am I fixing to make a brisket brick? How can I make sure this isn't too dry, foil it? Now? When????

Comments

• mb168,[p]Just curious...what caused it? Did you run low on lump?
  • mb168
    DynaGreaseball,[p]I think it's because I used the last of my lump and was mostly smaller pieces and I guess just clogged up the works down low. Don't know any other reason. [p]Makes me think for a minute about one of them "blower and brain" egg timers everyone compares on here all the time though.
  • mb168
    mb168,
    Nearly an hr and a half later and I'm back up to 158.

• mb168,[p]the ceramics musta cooled way down.[p]Hope you can save it. I've only tried one brisket. it was as dry as cardboard, so, no help here. [p]Seems like I saw one of the sages recommend pulling it at 190°/195° instead of 200°+ and foiling it for a time to try to hold in moisture whenever that happens.[p]Good Luck!
  • mb168
    DynaGreaseball,[p]I think I'm going to take something from thirdeye's site and pull it at 165 to wrap. My post will likely get shoved down too far with the woosday thread starting up now....
  • mb168,
    I think you're ok, but i'M probably too late now. I would think foil will keep it moist and maybe help it cook faster. Mine stayed around 163 for at least 7 hours.[p]I cooked a brisket (my second, a 5.25lb flat) a week ago. I woke up at 2:30, the temp alarm was going off and my fire was out.[p]I drizzled some oil on two paper towels, shoved 'em through the bottom vent door, lit them and went back to bed. When I got up at 6:00, the internal temp was up to 163 where it stayed for the rest of the morning.[p]My total cook time was, I think, 17 hours . I foiled, toweled and coolered it. [p]It was fine. It could've been better but it was moist enough. My kids are picky eaters and they both had 3 helpings.