Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem keeping steady temp with wind

Options
Dec
Dec Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,[p]How do you folks keep a steady temp when the conditions are windy. I did a second bird today and had to move it into the oven after 45 minutes.[p]Help![p]Dec

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Dec, Hi Dec, glad to meet you. Personally I have never found windy/blustery type days to affect the egg much. I keep the eggs on the west side of the house in a corner on my deck. I just turn the front toward the the door so I can read the dome thermometer (and the polder) from the inside looking thru the patio doors. The wind is 'usually' blowing against the back of the egg. I would guess that as long as the wind is not blowing directly into the lower vent you should be ok, based on my experience.
    FWITW, ChefRD.[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dec,[p]I have an Egg about 100' from the Atlantic ocean in Kitty Hawk NC. That is where the Wright Bros first flew and I know why -- Its frigg'in windy all the time. I did some steaks at 750 deg with the vent open 1/4 inch!! The next day I opened the bottom vent and removed the chimney top - no ash left after 2 minutes. That 25 kt Nor Easter cleaned the Egg too![p]Wind changes every setting you are use to, you gotta play by ear on that.[p]Tim
  • Ksdaddio
    Options
    Dec,
    I live in Kansas, and the wind blows most of the time here too. Putting the back of the EGG to the wind seems to work for me. It definitely get the EGG up to Temp in a hurry though!