Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward's Pulled Pork Recipe: A few questions

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new BGE user and am making my first pork butt. I am following Elder Ward's recipe and have a few questions on things that are not totally clear from the recipe:[p]1. If you use pan to put liquid into (which I am undecided on), where do you put the pan? My friend says not to use the table setter. [p]2. One side of the pork has a nice lining of fat. Should the fat side be up or down?[p]3. What is the final internal temperature range I am looking for on the meet? 200F or something else? [p]4. Assuming that I am not supposed to ever open the lid, how and when can I use the mop? [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Dana,
    1. Use drip pan under rack. I use plate setter also.
    2. Fat side down
    3. 200 F
    4. Rub don't mop. Mopping washes off rub[p]Mike "Just the way I do it" in Abita

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Dana,[p]Put placesetter legs up; then drip pan; no need for liquid to keep meet moist. Some put apple juice or wine or something else for flavor (some say to keep drippings from skorching when hit drip pan). I have done both ways. 190*-200*. I suggest you wrap in foil and put in a cooler with towels for at least one hour. I have kept in cooler up to four hours. I just think it helps with the magic. Some say when you shake your butt and it shakes like jello it is ready to take off (sounds funny, huh); seriously! HTH[p]dblR

• NCque
    NCque Posts: 76
    Dana,[p]I use a plate setter feet up, then drip pan, then cooking grid then the butt with the fat side up. cook to 200 internal temp. i don't mop just the rub.
  • Thanks to all for the advice. [p]It looks like there is a difference of opinion on whether to cook fat up or down. Can anyone shed a little more light on why to follow one approach rather than the other.[p]Thanks again!
  • NCque
    NCque Posts: 76
    Dana,
    I'm no expert by any means. I can only pass along advice given to me on this site. I cook fat side up b/c I'm told that as it reaches the plateau - where the fat starts to melt, it melts into the meat preventing it from drying out. I've never tried it fat side down so I don't have that to compare to. The egg is so good at keeping in moisture and heat etc. that I imagine that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference either way you do it. Just my 2 cents worth...Travis

• dblR
    dblR Posts: 75
    Dana,[p]With the fatside down it acts as a heat barrier and lets the meat cook in its own juices. You don't eat the fat and that way you will get the bark on the meat that you do eat. I paid to take the cooking classes from Lotta Bull (2006 Team of the year, 11 wins) and Music City Pig Pals (on circuit 17 years and executive chef for Fiesta gas grills and a caterer). They both say the same thing. IMHO and HTH. My two cents.[p]dblR

• Dana,[p]I have not been on the web site for a long time. But here is my opinion. [p]1)I never use a drip pan. Some do so I wrote it so those that like that method could do it.
    2) Fat side Up ALWAYS. It bastes the meat and keeps it moist without moping. I never mop ever. Moping is for an exposed heat method like a pit. Not needed here.
    3) Internal minimum of 200 but no more than 205 as a rule but I have pulled them at 195 because it was falling apart.
    4) Mop? Mop? We don't need no sticking Mop? :)) Seriouly it is a waste of time with the egg. [p]There are no hard fast rules you can do anything you like. This Egg is a very forgiving cooker,Mop if want to, but every time you lift that lid it will add 20 more minutes to your cook time. [p]One old Farts opinion. [p]If you got 'em smoke 'em,[p]Carl Ward
    AKA Elder Ward

• Elder Ward,
    Speaking of Names from the Past... Where have you been? I hope you are "fiddle-fit and good-to-go." [p]I've noticed a lot of the "old timers" on this Forum have moved aside to let the new generation post their questions and comments. I still like to post but I rarely give cooking advice. There are so many better cooks out there than me I don't want to embarrass myself. [p]Try not to stay away so long.[p]Spring "My Two Cents Ain't Worth A Plug Nickel" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Elder Ward,[p]Nice to hear from you! Did I hear you were at Eggs by the Bay?[p]Stop by once in a while your comments are always more than welcome, you know that.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Elder Ward,
    Hey stranger! Good to see you around.[p]H

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Elder Ward, good to hear from you. BTW after reading your pulled pork recipe a thousand times, I finally read it real closely. One day I am going to get enough guts - or skill - to try doing a butt EXACTLY like you recommend. Until then I'll guess I'll continue doing mine at 225-240. Why don't you visit us at one of the various EGGfests? I would even travel I think to meet you in person.

• Wise One,
    That makes me feel wanted. You honor me dear sir and I thank you. But you must be desparate for entertainment.:)) I went to the First Eggs by the Bay and if all goes well I will try to do it again next year. My son was competing in the Nationals Tae Kwon Do tournament this year at about the time it was being held so had to skip it, but God will maybe next year. [p]Carl

• dhuffjr,[p]Thanks and great to all are doing well considering life happens. [p]Carl
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Dana,[p] No liquid in the drip pan. It really is not necessary with the egg. [p] For the same reason you don't need liquid in the pan you don't need to mop. Besides If you are looking you aren't cooking.[p] The fat cap is where the Elder Ward and I differ. Technically you can do them either way; however, lets put some logic to it. Fat really does not allow the spices of your rubs to penetrate. So putting spices on the fat is worthless. If you put fat side up you are putting what spices you have to the heat. It gets burned off and washed away with the fat dripping from the cooking process. Furthermore you have all that fat flowing through the meat. Yes it self basts the meat, but as the meat cools off it will become greasy.[p] Rub up the meat put the fat to the heat (down). As that fat breaks down all it does is go into the drip pan. The spices on the meat stay on the meat. The fat give you that much more of a barrier between the heat and the meat.[p]Brisket or Pork.. Fat Down...
  • Sundown,[p]I have always enjoyed this forum and its folks even when things got really hot.....no joke intended.;))[p]Yes I was there 1st year. [p]Just so everyone undestands why I do not join in more here than I do,here are the facts. I am not advertising just listing the facts. So please bare with me. [p]I am an MetLife agent with 375 clients and manage 17 Million dollars of investments for them. That would be enough for most guys. [p]I also added income tax preperation to my business 3 years ago just for clients and referrals, not walk ins off the street. That would be too much for most guys.[p]I also own Iron Mountain Industries which has 3 companies under its umbrella, The Iron Mountain taxes the division mentioned previously, Iron Mountain Forge which makes custom sheath knives and other edged weapons and tools, and Feather Leather which makes the sheaths for the knife business and has taken on a life of its own in the archery business, quivers, bracers or arm guards and other things leather. I started this on ebay and I am now in 17 foreign countries and all 50 state and most territories in the Union. This I do at night on the weekends and in my spare time. Last year I grossed $15,000 in the leather business alone and this year to date I have exceeded sales for all of last year. This could be a full time business by itself. DO I sound busy enough? Oh by the way I do not have any employees all these are a one man show. Yeah I am nuts.[p]Wait there is more. I also attend Tae Kwon DO classes 4 or 5 nights a week and Referree in local tournaments in the Ventura and L A county areas. My son plays Foot ball in High School and I of course go to his games and my daughter just started college. [p]I tell people if it aint in my planner it don't get done.[p]Sorry if this was off subject but hey now you know. [p]Carl
  • buttsnapples-004.jpg
    <p />Celtic Wolf,
    i want the fat laced with seasoning running through the meat and there's plenty of protection to the heat from the plate setter and drip pan and air space.[p]burned and washed off? huh?[p]*just providing the other view, not wanting to start a screen long thread on up versus down.*

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Elder Ward,[p]Sir!,[p] I have been egging for ten years and have become reasonably good at it. It is a passion that I share with my family, friends and other members of this forum. It is something that would have never happened without the methods that you posted so many years ago. Thank you![p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken,[p]Don't give me that poor mouth talk. You and I both can hold our own against anyone else out there when it comes to cooking. Oh we will not win or be better all the time but who is. Those guys and gals on the circuit just get more time in but that makes it feel like a job and Lord knows I have enough of them already. [p]Yeah, well it is better we stay away more, us old timers, because as you can tell we don't have a self image problem and most of us are not real thin skinned either. So if this deal is to continue to grow then we have to give the new Turks a chance to spread their feathers and crow. :) You da Man Spring Chicken. [p]Carl

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p] I did say technically you can do it both ways. Personally I don't like the grease.
  • Little Steven,[p]Wow, thanks. But let me just say this. Tag your it, pass it on. Give to get. When you get it you got to give it out freely or it dies with in one generation and has to be reinvented. Sounds like your doing your part. [p]Carl

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Elder Ward,
    you need the fishlessmans method of relaxation, that is way too much for this guy, i spend about that much time either fishing or thinking about fishing. sometimes its relaxing, sometimes its like work, but its always enjoyable.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • firstovernightbutts-006.jpg
    <p />Celtic Wolf,
    how about fat cap on the side? [p]yep, it's personal preference so i'd recommend a person try it both ways or even the third way to see what the prefer... i've also read it doesn't make a difference. there is nothing like the "grease" that forms in the pulling pan... it's really more like pork honey and it's finger lickin good! hahaa

• fishlessman,
    For several year I Bass fished every weekend I was there when the park gates opened, They are closed at nights in this county, and left when the siren blew to shut it down at night. I think I am to much a fanatic. [p]Here is what I hate about fishing. Having to do all that prep work to get equipment and boat ready and almost as much time cleaning up and putting away for the next time. Other wise I am with you. [p]Carl

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Elder Ward,
    ive got it down to prepping the boat and dock in march, 1 day. fishing from april 1 to sept 30, then pull everything out 3 hours. loading the cooler everyday on the weekends can be a chore. whats this cleaning you talk of, i hear some do that with eggs as well. i keep my boats docked as close to the egg as possible to save some steps.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]Cleaning, Heck I ment the boat. I start out orginized but by the time I get back to the dock the boat is a wreck. No matter how many time I promise myself to put stuff away when no longer in use. :))[p]Carl
  • Egg Baboo
    Egg Baboo Posts: 5
    Hey all where can I find Elder Ward recipe? Sounds like it is a winner!?