Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Thanksgiving

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In case any of you think I've nothing better to do than post on Thanksgiving morning, the mince pie is in the oven. The ice cream pie will be done in about 20 minutes, when the mince pie comes out. Then we start preparing for the turkey in the egg.[p]Anyone notice how you know you don't need to start the fire until, say, 1 p.m., but about 11, you wander out and take the cover off. About 11:10, you open the lid and see what's inside. Perhaps 11:30, you take the grill out and add some lump. Then, maybe around 11:45 you put the plate setter in. And so on, until about 12:15 you are all ready to start the fire and just itching for 1:00 to get here?[p]Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I'm going low and slow with an 18-pounder: started at 6 o'clock last night and at last check it is well on its way to heavenly. Doing cranberry/orange gelatin, brussels sprouts and a corn/chili souffle. And of course mashed potatoes. In the meantime I can sit back and enjoy the day. Overcast and cool, but all the same a day to give thanks for.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I'll be interested in hearing about a low/slow turkey. Anyone ever do a high heat one...say in the 4-500* range?[p]Anyway, not starting till 1pm...y'all must be eating late.
    The guest of honor has been on the grill for approaching 2 hours now, in time for a noon meal![p]Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Shelby,
    Another variation on your question: On Good Eats, Alton Brown recommends 30 minutes at 500, then the rest of the time at 325 (or thereabouts, I forget the exact temp). Has anyone tried this in the egg?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Shelby,
    Understand first - we like smoke! I brine my bird, then set it above a drip pan half-full of the reserved brine. Every hour or less I spray with apple cider. I keep dome temps in the 220 to 240º range, for about an hour a pound. I'm experimenting today: that much liquid so close to the bird usually results in an anemic looking back. Today's plan is to remove plate setter and drip pan for the last hour, in an effort to brown up the skin there. (The rest of the skin is crispy, a golden mahogany color.)
    Give your friends the bird! (I do.) ;-)

• char buddy
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I saw that show too. I liked his advice on brining. I think the problem with starting at 500 and getting the temps down to 350 is that on the egg its easier to go from 350 to 500, than it is to go from 500 down to 350. I would think that a kitchen oven or conventional grill loses heat faster than a ceramic cooker. [p]since he starts his turkey at 500 to brown the skin, why not cook it at 350 on the egg, then jack it up to 500 (or whatever) at the end to crisp the skin - if it needs it. [p]Just a few thoughts. [p]Myself, I'm cooking at 350 all the way through today. I'm gonna put Mrs. Dogs Cranberry glaze on in the last half hour to make sure I get a crispy, crunchy skin.