Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traeger Grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cooked on a traeger Grill? Im trying to decide if I want to get a Egg or a Traeger Grill.Everything I read online people Love the Traeger Grill but I dont know anyone that has one.

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Bill Glaeser,
    I would recommend that you check out the link below. I don't have any experience with a Traeger Grill... what I can tell you is the egg is easy and very versatile cooker with excellent moisture retention in your meats.
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • Bill Glaeser,[p]I have both a Treager and a large and small BGE. There is no question in my mind as to which one you would like. The BGE has it all the way. I have not used my Treager since the egss arrived. [p]David
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Bill Glaeser,
    depends what you want to do. egg will sear a steak, lo-n- slo barbecue, brick oven type pizza [making the dough now]. first chicken i did on the egg my sons were afraid to eat. it was so moist they though it was not fully cooked. don't know about the treager but it looked pretty much like a smoker to me. scroll back thru the forum if you have time there have been several threads since sept 8 "why buy an egg" come back here with your questions you will find the forum is friendly [unless you mention gas or kingsford :<} and ready to answer your quetions.
    bill

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Bill Glaeser,[p]You are talking two different animals....[p]The Traeger is pretty good a low heat smokes...but the egg wins in everything else...[p]Apples and Oranges..
  • Bill Glaeser,
    You have email regarding this topic.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Bill Glaeser,[p]I've used both many times and the egg is the clear winner. Traeger is a nice smoker with no insulation at all which means you'll use a lot of pellets, and it has absolutely no ability to sear anything ever. [p]The egg is insanely insulated and very miserly with charcoal, it can can smoke just as well as the traeger, sear better than anything on the market, turn in to a wood fired pizza oven and even bake. [p]No contest.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Bill Glaeser,
    The only thing an Egg can't do is cook a whole hog. Other than that, it is superb over any other cooker. Bar none. [p]MC Jerry

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I have both.
    The Traeger will not sear & doesn't offer enough chamber height to cook fowl on a Spanek. I cook all fowl vertically.
    The BGE will do it all.
    The Traeger is easy to start & control temps but lacks insulation.
    If I could have only 1 cooker, I chose the BGE.
    I cook on both as dictated by the ocassion & product.[p]

• Bill Glaeser,I bought the big Traeger Wood Pellet grill three years ago after having used the Weber for years before that. I had good luck with it. It is very easy to use. You just turn it on, set the temp, and go about your business. It never smoked meat as well as I like it. Because it uses wood pellets there is no competition and so I was forced to pay whatever Traeger was selling them for. While they have pellets made of different woods (hickory, maple, alder, cherry, etc.) I only used hickory because it was so difficult to clean out the hopper and replace it with different wood pellets. I could not get the temp much over 450 degrees. It does not cook in a direct mode. The pellets are fed into a 4" receptacle. Immediately above that "firepot" is a baffle that spreads out the heat, making the interior function as an oven. While it has more surface area that the large Egg the heat distribution does not effectively cover the entire surface. Recently Traeger has sold out to another company. The Traeger costs about the same. Food, cooked on it, comes out drier than on the egg; especially fish. Since the Traeger requires electricity you are out of luck with power outages. When I sold mine and bought the large egg it had begun to rust even though I bought a Kevlar cover for it and used it faithfully.

• Bill Glaeser,
    I think I will pass on the Traeger and go with the Egg.I went to Cabales yesterday and looked at the Traeger Grill and they dont look deep enough to cook a Large Turkey.Be nice to have a Egg and a Traeger but for now I will settle on the Egg.

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    bill glaeser,
    Quite possibly the best decision you will ever make.
    Welcome to the cult - ask and ye shall receive re: answers
    to any questions you will have.[p]Mike