Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Mini for tent trailer/camping use?

orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a new to me tent trailer and wondering which size is more "portable", small or mini? I have a large and have not seen, in person anyway, any of the smaller ones. I am admittedly an Old Guy but usually I will have my better half or someone else to help carrying it around, set up, etc.. Just wondering if anyone camps with one of these and how it works out for you? I could make some sort of carry cradle for the back of the truck to haul it in I am thinking. Share any thoughts or cradle pics you may have. Thanks.

Comments

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    orion11,
    this pic was posted yesterday in a thread about the mini. bge site lists weight and how much you can cook on each model. my 2 cents is a mini and a gas camp stove burner. do the meat on the mini and heat the liquids [pasta water and such] on the stove. if you want meat veggies and all on the grill go with the small. my concern, in addition to the weight, would be finding a level spot for the small. 65 pounds is a lot to be lifting, for us old farts. also i would ask forum for recommendations regarding taking the innards out of the egg for safe transport. much easier with the mini. if you have a retailer nearby go look at the models othewise freds music and bbq site has a lot of pics that show size comparison.
    bill

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/225943.htm[/ul]
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    orion11,
    I have a small that I take camping with me and cook most anything in it, even low & slow's(boneless pork butt). I built one of the transporters shown on wessb's site under tips, it works well.
    HTH
    Wayne

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    orion11,
    the small does eveything a large does so i think its a better choice. the mini is really just a grill in my opinion and just too small (just my opinion, but it looks like a toy to me). i would say getting the small into the truck might be harder at the house, ive never seen a camp ground type setting where there isnt any one to give you a hand. i have a large and small, i actually bring the large camping in the pickup.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    WingRider,
    Thanks all, I was thinking maybe the mini would be just too small for what I would like to do camping. Still would like to have the option of doing butts in the outdoors.

• orion11,
    YOu will get much more use out of a small for sure. More versatile, more space / etc. I don't know if you have ever seem a Potlifter but it makes moving a small very easy. I got it at the link below.

[ul][li]Potlifter[/ul]