Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Buzzard

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time Turkey smoker - You guys have me worried - I'm following the super buzzard recipe on the website and cooking at 250, everyone else seems to be at 325 or 350 Why??

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Poppa,[p]I don't like the results at 250 deg. The skin is hard to get browned and it's toooooo smokey for me. Each to his own though.[p]Tim
  • Big Poppa,
    I'm also a "first-timer", and feel the same...getting a bit confused, but have decided this is part of the fun...no real right or wrong answers, we just experiment w whatever works for us...don't ya think? The folks who "post" their thoughts here, though, have been a tremendous help to me (I've been "studying up" for over a week now by reading their messages). I was up this morning at 3:30AM, and find this all so exciting. Now if I could just decide this one nagging question......"to baste or not to baste"??? haha!! Good luck to you and hope we both serve delicious turkeys to our loved ones on this wonderful day of counting our blessings (I'm sure thankful for being able to have a BGE!).
    Have a great day!
    Kathy

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Big Poppa,[p]It's a more smoke taste vs. minimal smoke taste issue. You'll find preferences on both sides of the fence. My vote is higher temp, less smoke.[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Kathy,[p]One vote for basting today.[p]Puj
  • Tim M,[p]Thanks for the replies - I've cranked it up to 300 and we will see what happens - I am also trying to fry another Big Tom Turkey - Any thoughts?? - Great forum!!!

• Puj, Thanks so much for responding so quickly. Just this morning, I decided to go ahead and baste, due to reading your past notes. I have been reading your messages w great interest. You seem to have a real knowledge and "passion" (always important) for this, which has made it all the more enjoyable for me. Would you believe, this is the first time I've even cooked on my Egg?
    And the only reason I got up this morning feeling confident and courageous enough to do it, was due mainly to you and some of the other "regulars" on here, willing to teach the rest of us!! So I thank you so much.....and,(hopefully), my family and friends who will be "feasting" here this day, will also wish to thank you!!
    Gratefully,
    Kathy

• Puj
    Kathy,[p]Thanks for your kind thoughts. The beauty of forums like this one is for all of us to learn from others. Believe me, we all have learned a ton by reading and interacting. Over time we all look forward to your learnings and contributions.[p]I got a big chuckle reading that this is your maiden cook with the Egg. Is there any other way? You'll do fine, it's no different than trying a new recipe. Just wait until you taste it![p]Happy T-Day,
    Puj

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Kathy,
    I haven't basted any one (that's maybe 8 or 10) of the birds we've done. My experience is that you don't really need to baste. Mr. Egg will retain enough moisture...it's his JOB!
    Plus everytime you open Mr. Egg your temps drop.

• Kathy,
    It's probably too late, but in my opinion, basting is a complete waste. It does nothing to the moisture or flavor of the bird, and opening the egg or oven to do it lets the heat out and increases cooking time. You might look for the "Romancing The Bird" Thanksgiving special on the Food Network. Alton Brown debunks a lot of turkey myths and demonstrates brining. A sense of humor helps... :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Tim M,
    Following in my old "tin can cooker" ways, I like low and slow turkey. No browning problems, either then or now. I brine the bird in beer and equal parts (by weight) of salt and honey. Then as it cooks I spray with cider. At 12 hours it had a lovely light mahogany color. As to the smoke, you're right about "each to his own" - around here it's hard to get too smokey. (I used the last of my guava wood stash on the bird today.)