Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I cook a Duck the same as Chicken?

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I spatchcock it?
Can I set it on a beercan and stand it up on the grill?[p]I know to trim the fat and cut the skin, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I thought you had to cook it at a lower temp for a longer time to get all the fat out? I only tried it once and didn't really care for it so I'm no help, lol![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]You need to cook it at a lower temp...and cook for a long time...[p]I take the duck ...[p]Stuff it with an apple cut in quarters..an onion cut in quarters...take the apple and onion put it in a bowl and sprinkle with poultry seasoning about on Tablespoon..and some salt and pepper..[p]I salt and pepper what I think is right ...[p]Then stuff all that into the duck..[p]cover ducks with foil..and bake in egg at 250 for an hour or so..then remove foil and bake 2-3 more hours...you will know when the duck is done when a leg wiggles..and the juices run clear..[p]A temp of 190...[p]It all depends on how large the duck is...[p]You will cook indirect..platesetter legs up and a pan to catch all the fat..and there should be a lot of fat..[p]To crisp up the skin...crank up the egg to 350 for a few mins...[p]If you want to add a glaze..I take plum jelly...put it in pan heat it up a little to thin it out add some lemon juice and add a littl mustard...[p]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Well, I'm the least qualified to recommend any kind of cook, but I thought I'd share this....[p]I used to hunt a lot. Brought home many many different kinds of ducks. Over a period of about 10 years, we (my hunting buddy and I) tried and tried to find a recipe that would make great duck. After many tries here's what we concluded:[p]Take it to a chinese restaurant that has purchased a special high pressure cooker that is made for Crispy Duck and ask them to cook it for you. And...if you have to cook one, cook a puddle duck (Mallard, Black Duck, etc). Diving ducks all taste like seaweed gently mixed with raw fish.[p]Apples, onions, oranges and the like stuffed in the cavity, just try to cover up the taste. Honestly, they don't add a thing.[p]I hope yours was farm raised on cracked corn. [p]Wish I could share a better report. Duck's hard!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    By the way, the breast has almost no fat in the meat...The fat is found as a layer between the skin and the breast meat. I've seen it about 3/8" thick, and it can be removed easily from the dark red breast meat along with skin and feathers.[p]The advice to cook it slowly and at low temperatures is correct. Be careful..it will dry out very very fast because of a lack of moisture from no fat.[p]We slithered (is that a word?) the breasts into thin (1/4") slices and cooked on a grill, once. We found it to be the best way to get them fully cooked and still keep them moist. Lemon juice helps cover up the gamey taste a little. [p]I did NOT own an Egg back when I was trying to cook duck, so it just might be the magic that eluded us for years! [p]Good luck.

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    I assume wild duck is less greasy than corn fed. The French take out Muscovy Duck breasts (those are those incredibly ugly ducks with weird bills.) These breasts are grilled like steak and quite nice with sauce like Bernaise. Can be grilled skinless or with skin, left rare like steak, though I am not sure one would eat rare game in the US. [p]You could try Peking Duck; the duck is essentially parboiled a bit, dried and a glaze is put on the skin (which is the part people like) and it is traditionally baked in something like an egg:[p] link to recipe for doing it at home.

[ul][li]http://chinesefood.about.com/od/poultryrecpz/r/pekingduck.htm[/ul]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    dover_gal,
    I've only had duck once. It was at a restaurant in Ottawa back in the early '90's and the dish was called Duck Magret (or Magritte?). It was FANTASTIC but it looked more like beef. We asked the waiter what kind of meat it was and he looked at us like we were from another planet,
    "Duck" he said.
    I bet it was the Muscovy Duck. I will keep an eye out for the type of duck when I buy it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    roasting temps will give you the darker meat, but sometimes they come out overly greasey that way. low and slow gets alot of that grease out and i like it better. one thing with duck is its a lot better with a sauce, i make a cranberry sauce with blueberries lemon juice and orange juice and have it on the side as a dressing for the duck. the fruit flavor goes well with duck. do a search for djm5x9 and duck as well. he cooks at about 200 for 5 hours if i remember right, i do them at 220 til the skin gets crispy

[ul][li]duck[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it