Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting pumpkin seeds in the egg

Options
Lizard Dragger
Lizard Dragger Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever roast pumpkin seeds in their egg?? I was thinking of trying it with maybe some apple smoke indirect on a cookie sheet. Any ideas??

Comments

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    LizardDragger,
    I roast pumpkin seeds in my large every Fall and I will recommend very little or no smoke. If you must, maybe a couple chips of apple. I roast them at 350 with spray olive oil and sea salt on a pizza pan with holes in it. I think it is an Air Bake.[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    LizardDragger,
    Sprinkle with Dizzy Pig and roast as you normally would, but don't use extra smoke.[p]They will go quickly,
    RhumAndJerk

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    hey michael. .. you doing anything with pumpkins at eggtoberfest this year??

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Not this year, I have something else mind this year.
    R&J

• LizardDragger,[p]Here is one that appeared a few years ago![p]Pumpkin, Seeds, Roasted, Wise One

I did a bit more searching and revised the recipe as follows:Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Don't throw out the seeds when making Jack-O-Lanterns or cooking fresh pumpkins, they make great snacks that are rich in fiber as well as vitamins B and E. Kids especially love them. Purists will want only salt as a seasoning, but if you're feeling adventurous, experiment and have fun with seasoning blends.
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
    2 tsp melted butter or oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
    salt to taste
    Options To Taste:
    garlic powder
    cayenne pepper
    seasoning salt
    Cajun seasoning blend

**********PREPARATION*********
    1 Rinse pumpkin seeds. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp. Spread out on paper towels to dry overnight.
    2 While it's O.K. to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor), clean off any major chunks.
    3 Preheat BGE to 300° F and set up for an indirect cook.
    **********COOKING**********
    1 Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
    2 Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer in an aluminum pan lined with non-stick foil (unless you don't mind the cleanup).
    3 Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
    4 Cool pumpkin seeds before eating. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.
    **********NOTES**********
    1 If you like your toasted pumpkin seeds extra-salty, soak overnight in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups of water. Dry an additional day, then proceed as above.
    2 Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Author: Wise One[p]Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 10/29/05[p]Recipe Source: based on recipes from Cheri Sicard and Peggy Trowbridge

[p]