Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salvaging Turkey Drippings

kookookachoo
kookookachoo Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How can I salvage the Turkey drippings to utilize for the gravy? In the past I have egged directley on the pizza stone on v-rack in drip pan and the drippings looked to be less than desirable.BURNT UGHHHH. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• kookookachoo,[p]I used the same set up and put some chicken broth in the drip pan. I checked the turkey every hour and added a little broth as needed. The drippings made good gravy but is was on the salty side. I would try and use unsalted broth next time or water with onions and gralic.[p]Hope it helps[p]KT
  • kookookachoo,
    Maybe, if there is room, you can throw a few cooking bricks down and put the drip pan on the bricks, letting less heat get to the bottom of the pan.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    kookookachoo,[p]I use a pizza stone to insulate the drip pan from the direct heat and 4 small ceramic spacers between the drip pan and the pizza stone (thanks again puj!). This keeps the drip pan much cooler.[p]Spin[p]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Spin,[p]Those spacers can work wonders. Hope you and Sue and family have a great T-Day tomorrow. [p]Puj
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Puj,[p]Little Spin and Mookie are expected to arrive tonight with a great fours days planned. She is patient enough to be willing to give me a refresher on the proper way to cut up a whole bird (thinking of taking pictures - maybe even posting to my webspace).[p]Our very best to you and yours,
    Spin & Sue