Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Early Bird

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're leaving today to drive to the big family Thanksgiving shindig and my Dad asked if I would cook the turkey on my BGE before we leave. He has eaten a few meals from my BGE, which is why he made this request.[p]Anyway, I cooked our T-bird last night. Man, it was g-o-o-o-d! I couldn't help sampling as I carved. Luckily, there's still some left for T-day. I didn't brine, kept it simple, no smoke. Filled cavity with quartered apple and onion. Rubbed outside with a little olive oil. Cooked it indirect with drip pan on plate setter (using Tim M's method to catch drippings for gravy later). Grid on plate setter legs with 16 pound turkey on v-rack. Cooked at about 310 to 320 degree dome temp for a little over 4 hours to 170 internal breast temp.[p]As you can see, it was a very simple approach and it turned out fantastic! Plenty juicy. I sure do like my Egg! I'll bet all you first-time turkey chefs are going to be thrilled with your results.[p]The only thing I'm concerned about now is whether it will even come close to being that good on Thursday. After carving, I vacuum-packed the meat in several bags on my new Foodsaver and have it in freezer. If it's still good on T-day, that will be a good advertisement for the Foodsaver IMO. Even if it's not quite as good as before, it has to be better than some dried out oven-baked bird![p]Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all my fellow Eggers,
Bob

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Bob,
    It will taste good reheated, thanks in part to the foodsaver, but not as good as fresh off the ceramic cooker. I usually cook a turkey up for just the wife and I for sandwiches during the work week and it's better tasting and more economical than store bought sandwich meat. I don't know what you own for a vehicle but if you can maybe transport that egg of your to your Holiday destination next time,you will really be the hit of the party. Also gives you a chance to walk away from the crowd and relax by yourself while checking on the cook.
    Have a safe trip...Painter

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]The foodsaver will do your cook justice. Reheat in heated water (160-170°F) to avoid cooking the meal further. Allow plenty of time for the meat to heat through.[p]Spin