Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza For Dinner w/pics

Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight we did our second pizza from "Pappa Murphey's" a take and bake pizza place. Last time we cooked at over 500 degrees and the pizza was done on top, but the crust was not done. This time we tried 450 dome temp with a little pecan wood smoke. The crust was much better and the small amount of pecan we used was just right. We still want the crust to be crisper, but since this is a fresh unfrozen pizza, we are finding it impossible to get it off paper liner off before cooking. Just tears up the dough if you try to remove it. I think it's time we did our own dough and fixings :-)[p]Here it is read to go!
E85G5111_resize.jpg[p]Just on the BGE
E85G5112_resize.jpg[p]Finished now and ready to eat!
E85G5113_resize.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    EagerEgger,
    How long did you heat the stone before putting the pie in? -RP

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    EagerEgger,
    Get your stone up to 450 degrees for a good crust. Going to do two of 'em very shortly.[p]You've got email.[p]Mike

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    fieroguy,
    Forgot - pizza looks great.

• AZRP, At least 30 minutes. I really think it's the darn cardboard tray underneath. I would like to get it directly on the stone or on at least some parchment.
    Mike[p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    EaggerEgger,
    When I'm using a stone I let it heat for about an hour while the smoke cleans up. Are you supposed to bake it with the cardboard on it? -RP

• RP, Yes the instructions are for an oven though, so some difference with the egg. They recommend 425, so with the egg, I went at 450 dome temp. Next pass I will let the stone heat up for an hour, that certainly may help.
    Mike

• EaggerEgger,
    We cook about 6 pizzas every Saturday night for pizza and a movie with our kids. Most times we make our own dough, have the kids top them and bake directly on the stone, but a couple of weeks ago we were going to be home late, so we picked up a couple of the Murph's pies. I am addicted to the crisp crust of our homemades, so was attempting to duplicate with the Papa's pie. But as we both know, the cardboard gets in the way. So, my solution was to let it go a few minutes (probably 5) and then slide my thin pizza peel between the pizza and the cardboard, since at the 5 minute mark, the crust was firm enough to come apart from the cardboard. I slipped it back onto the stone and in a couple of minutes had a passable crust. Might be more trouble than it is worth, but it is something you can try once and see if you like it. [p]Whack

• Whack Masterson, You know, I thought there might be a way to do it :-) I do like their pizza's and when you don't want to go to the trouble of making dough etc. this is a good solution. Thanks for the help.
    Mike[p]

• EagerEgger,
    Yum, looks good. I was at the Pacific NW eggsfast last month and tasted whack mastersons pizza's. They were sooo....good. He's pizza dough recipe is awesome. Maybe if he will read this he will send it to us. It's really yummy.

• Whack Masterson,
    I don't think you will remember me, but I meet you at the eggfest last month at Lake Sammamish. Loved your'e pizza. Would you kindly share your'e pizza dough recipe with me? I would really appreciate it. Thank you bunches...

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    EagerEgger,[p]Ask them if they have corn meal that they can put under the pizza, or corn meal and parchmant paper. Couldn't you transfer the pizza to the peel (adding some c-meal), then place on the egg?