Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First time Hanger Steak with photos

TomCPATomCPA Posts: 82
edited 2:50PM in EggHead Forum
Hello Fellow Eggers,[p]It was my first attempt at hanger steak. Thanks to Mad Max (and Anthony Bourdain), it was a feast to behold.[p]Here are tonights results:[p]Redskins 34, Detroit 3[p]Now the pictures:[p]dcp_1931.jpg

dcp_1933.jpg
[p]A delicious meal was had by Mrs. TomCPA, Daugther TomCPA, and myself. Mrs. TomCPA thought it was more flavorful than filet. I won't argue too much with that after tonight. [p]It's a darn good thing the dogs were very well supervised by me or the scoundrels could have made off with a wonderful meal. [p]Tom[p]

·

Comments

• TomCPA,
    glad you liked it ...sometime, grill up a filet and hanger at the same time and do a side-by-side comparison. .. that filet will taste like it was boiled in water or something, that is how much 'beefier' tasting the hanger is. ..[p]it was tony bourdain that turned me on to hanger as well ...after eating it at les-halles in NYC, i was sold. ..i sometimes do it the same as his recipe in his book as well .. . [p]good stuff. . . glad you all liked it .. .

·
  • tom, forgot to mention, it looks like you sliced it across the short side. . .that is actually with the grain. . .next time, slice it in long thin slices (from top to bottom in your picture). .. .that is actually across the grain and will yield even more tender slices. ..
    ·
  • TomCPATomCPA Posts: 82
    max,[p]Thanks for the advice. I keep getting tripped up by that. It happened to me with the skirt steak as well.[p]Time to go back to the butcher for another lesson.[p]Tom
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    TomCPA,
    of all the cuts, the tenderloin has the least flavor. it's claim to fame is tenderness...[p]if you want beefiness, you need to do just what you did, get a "cheap" cut. unfortunately, there are few true cheap cuts anymore. but at least you don't need to buy tenderloin for a treat any more![p]i personally prefer strip steaks and rib eyes over tenderloin. the are 'beefier' by far.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • JasonJason Posts: 45
    TomCPA,[p]Can I please have the recipe for this? Looks great![p]Jason
    ·