Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Hanger Steak with photos

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Fellow Eggers,[p]It was my first attempt at hanger steak. Thanks to Mad Max (and Anthony Bourdain), it was a feast to behold.[p]Here are tonights results:[p]Redskins 34, Detroit 3[p]Now the pictures:[p]dcp_1931.jpg

dcp_1933.jpg
[p]A delicious meal was had by Mrs. TomCPA, Daugther TomCPA, and myself. Mrs. TomCPA thought it was more flavorful than filet. I won't argue too much with that after tonight. [p]It's a darn good thing the dogs were very well supervised by me or the scoundrels could have made off with a wonderful meal. [p]Tom[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TomCPA,
    glad you liked it ...sometime, grill up a filet and hanger at the same time and do a side-by-side comparison. .. that filet will taste like it was boiled in water or something, that is how much 'beefier' tasting the hanger is. ..[p]it was tony bourdain that turned me on to hanger as well ...after eating it at les-halles in NYC, i was sold. ..i sometimes do it the same as his recipe in his book as well .. . [p]good stuff. . . glad you all liked it .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tom, forgot to mention, it looks like you sliced it across the short side. . .that is actually with the grain. . .next time, slice it in long thin slices (from top to bottom in your picture). .. .that is actually across the grain and will yield even more tender slices. ..
  • TomCPA
    TomCPA Posts: 82
    Options
    max,[p]Thanks for the advice. I keep getting tripped up by that. It happened to me with the skirt steak as well.[p]Time to go back to the butcher for another lesson.[p]Tom
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    TomCPA,
    of all the cuts, the tenderloin has the least flavor. it's claim to fame is tenderness...[p]if you want beefiness, you need to do just what you did, get a "cheap" cut. unfortunately, there are few true cheap cuts anymore. but at least you don't need to buy tenderloin for a treat any more![p]i personally prefer strip steaks and rib eyes over tenderloin. the are 'beefier' by far.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    TomCPA,[p]Can I please have the recipe for this? Looks great![p]Jason