Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine with Apple Juice? Recipes?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
We're just about to make our brine. Anyone have any recipes to use with apple juice? [p]Thanks!
Susan :o)

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Susan Spuhler,
    I have seen some, but don't have any links for you. I would use my favorite brine, and subsitute apple juice or cider for some of the water, and reduce the amount of sugar used. (some recipes I have seen use all apple juice and no water).[p]I did the apple juice/water mixture the other day with lean pork chops, and had fine results.[p]Good luck!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Susan Spuhler,
    I'm using a brining recipe called Smokin' Okie's that uses 1/2 cup of apple cider per gallon of water along with other ingredients. It's been highly recommended but this is my first try. You can go down to my post of 11/20 for the web link. You should read about brining as you don't want to get things chemically out of balance too much ... otherwise the brining won't work correctly. Better hurry ... you need to get that bird in the brine pretty quick if you want it for tomorrow!

• hanker'n2grill,
    THanks, I found your post and have the brining website up right now.[p]Appreciate all your help!
    Susan :o)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have a quick thought on Apple juice vs. Apple Cider. I would use apple cider only if it were pasteurized. Some of the natural microbes that live in apple cider I think could cause some nasty results in brine.[p]Hanker'n2grill brings up a good point about the chemical balance of the brine. Apple juice may be preferred since it is a more standardized product. Here is another thought, use frozen apple juice concentrate in place of some of the sugar. [p]Just thinking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Susan Spuhler,[p]Great! Let me know which recipe you decided on and how it came out after tomorrow.
  • Susan Spuhler,
    Check out Bill Wise's cookbook for the "apple-brined turkey." I made a double amount and put my 21 pounder in yesterday. I think it a great way to do ol' Tom.