Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical roaster question

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My last two Beercan Chickens have had trouble staying on their feet, so I'm thinking about going for the vertical stand.[p]Has anyone tried the ceramic ones? They look good but I didn't know if they were any better than the wire ones.[p]Also, I've seen these used sitting in drip pans. Is this a recommended method? does it result in rubbery skin? I've always done my beercan birds direct with no drip pan and I have yet to get the skin crispy. When I go indirect, the skin is typically more rubbery.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Hi Flashback Bob,[p]I regularly use ceramic vertical roasters in my large Egg. I found them thru Grillmeister when at a Texas Eggfest a few years ago he had a producer as a sponsor. He likened them to rommertopf cookers. He said he tried these when his wife refused to allow him to put their expensive German-made rommertopf cooker in the Egg (imagine that! LOL).[p]I roast a chicken indirect with a drip pan on inverted plate setter, grill atop plate setter legs, bird sitting on roaster on grill. That way the bird is not sitting in liquid and hot air can enter the bottom of the ceramic. [p]I think these roasters are outstanding, and function as advertised. I roast at a dome temp between 400 and 425 and end up with moist meat and a crisp skin. Not perfect, but more crisp that I have been able to achieve previously and without doing other things like drying the bird in the fridge for hours or applying a dusting of corn starch. Plus, I've never had a bad cook with one of these.[p]I have all three sizes of the ceramic vertical roaster, and while I have never used the large for a turkey, the large is excellent for domestic duck. And, no, I have no connection with the company.[p]HTH and good luck.[p]DD
    [ul][li]Ceramic verticle chicken roasters[/ul]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Thanks! I'm really glad to hear it works so well!
    I've been leaning toward getting one of these and now you got me motivated.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    i do my chickens with the wire vertical roaster in a aluminum drip pan direct on the grid.no liquid in the pan. start at 400 and stabilize at 350 always crispy skin. my favorite way is to put a wire rack on top of the drip pan and sit the chicken on that. drip pans are the diposable aluminum steam tray things . 30 for $9 costco.
    the only time i ever had rubbery skin is with too much liquid whether direct or indirect
    good luck
    bill

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    I use a ceramic "Willy's Sitter" which is just a ceramic beer can with a wider base. I like it a lot, and use it a few times a month. I found that a drip pan leads to rubber skin, so I just cook direct at about 400º and let er drip on the coals. Sometimes quite smokey, but you'll save on wood chunks.
    Mike

[ul][li]Willy's Sitter[/ul]
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    06Turkey.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,
    I've got both sizes. One for turkey and one for chiken. I use a drip pan for the turkey just for gravy sake. But with the chicken I go direct no drip pan with great results.
    Turkey.jpg
    I usually fill mine with wine and herbs.
    Verticalhen.jpg
    sitter2.jpg
    vertical.jpg
    juice.jpg
    I did a hen indirect with drip pan and came out pretty good too.