Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Verticle Roaster

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I still have never used my verticle chicken roaster. Is there any advantage to using a verticle roaster for turkey? Does it come out moister? Is there a bigger roaster for turkeys rather than chickens?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Dr.Seuss,
    Yes there is a bigger v-roaster for turkeys.
    As far as advantages I think they cook just a little faster and they seem to cook more evenly. I've done half a dozen turkeys and have been more than happy with the results very moist and evenly cooked every time. I also have the chicken roasters, 2 of them, and I expect them to wear out soon from the use we put them through. I have the heavy s/s wire guys and my only complaint is they are a devil to clean. wouldn't part with the for the world though.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Dr.Seuss,
    I did a 20 pound bird last weekend on a vertical roaster, somewhat indirect at 350 and it was ready in about 3 hours.
    Cooks much quicker!

• I have a vetical roaster for larger birds, but I haven't been able to use it - I tried once, but I couldn't stop the thermometer from poking the bird, and the top of the bird was touching the inner wall of the egg. I wonder if I can fit my 12 pounder in the egg with it?
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Remove the fire ring from your Egg and place the grill directly on the firebox. The move the clip the holds the dome thermometer to the outside of the Egg, but still on the thermometer.[p]I cooked a 14 lb turkey using a vertical stand in my small Egg. It was wonderful.[p]Spin