Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick look , How much is lost in cooking time ??

Options
disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If one is doing a slow cook like ribs like I did ,I did 260ish for 4hrs ,but I looked 2-3 times an hr ,they were very good but not fall off the bone ,was this my down fall ? Help
Thanks Dave

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Lifting the lid 2 - 3 times per hour is waaaay too often. If you feel like you must look, lift the daisy wheel and take a peek but otherwise you're setting yourself back every time.[p]Was it the reason you didn't get fall-off-the-bone ribs? Perhaps. But alot of that has to do with how you were cooking them. Were using the 3-1-1 method? Many of us don't consider 'fall-off-the-bone'ribs to be that desirable as we like to give a gentle tug. But how ya like 'em is how ya like 'em![p]Ed McLean
    In Philadelphia Today

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    DK ,
    Probably not. Of course, ribs aren't really done strictly by time, but rather by checking them for done-ness.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    DK ,
    Dont look. Every time you open it up you are letting heat escape.If you cooked indirect the temperature was to low I would go 325.The 3/1/1 method is very popular.

• DK ,One of the great features of the egg is the massive ceramic structure. It holds the heat so well. When I take a look and then put the lid down, the temp rises rather swiftly to where it was. A metal lid wouldn't do that. There wouldn't be enough heat stored in the metal to compensate for the heat inside the kettle. That's one of the big pluses of the egg.

• Darnoc,What's the 3-1-1 method?