Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pan for turkey?

Options
Randy
Randy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try the turkey thing this year. Should I put a drip pan under the vertical roaster? How??? Thanks.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Randy,[p]I use a foil lined metal pie pan just big enough to fit the base of the vertcal sitter into. I tend to use 250-275°F cooking temperatures for the bird and this setup provides good air circulation for the cook.[p]Spin
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Spin,
    Indirect?

• Spin
    Options
    Jim,[p]Since the drip pan is present (even minimally), this is an indirect cook. I use no firebrick, pizza stones, ect. for this cook - just the drip pan. Air circulation is even cooking.[p]Spin[p][p]
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Randy,
    Doing an 18lb. bird. Does this mean my upside down plate setter that holds the drip pan is an OK set-up for a 300-325 degree cook? Last minute jitters here, that's all. God, and to think I pulled off a great turkey cook on my old
    $29 water smoker before I got Egged. Guess it's show time again! Big Murth

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Spin,
    Won't the late overflow?

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Yep, the upside down plate setter with a drp pan is OK. That is what I use and I cook my bird at 350* for 15 min per pd. Been doing that method on the EGG for going on 24 years with great results.

• Spin
    Options
    Jim,[p]The pie pan has 2" high sides and the drippings tend to reduce as they are collected. Even starting with a quartered apple, a quartered onion, and a quartered orange stuffed in the pan (along with part of a favored beverage - it was favored ;-)), I have never come close to an overflow.[p]The drip pan end result is not something worth attempting turning into gravy.[p]Spin