Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any regrets

Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cleaning out the garage today and had to push my Weber kettle out and carry out my WSM. I haven't used either one since I got my egg last January, has anyone that has sold their old smokers had any regrets. There's a guy on the virtual weber bullet forum that's not to far from me, I thought about seeing if he would buy both of them and my bbq guru since they're both set up for it and take the money and buy me the new digital guru.

Comments

• Mayberry Smoker, I just sold my Longhorn Smoker last week and used the proceeds for a BBQ Guru ProCom4. I had not used the smoker since purchasing my BGE. If anything, I'll end up with another egg someday.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Mayberry Smoker,
    put the weber smoker in the neighbors garage while he was on vacation, just to get rid of it. if he asks i will tell him it was a thank-you for the firewood i got from his tree.
    bill

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Mayberry Smoker,
    I just gave away a perfectly good WSM because I had not used it in years. I thought I would have regrets, so I cooked a couple butts overnight on it. It did a good job but it was enough of a reminder of how much easier the Egg is to cook on that I know I won't regret giving it up. -RP

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mayberry Smoker,
    I still have 3 portable gassers and a Weber gasser. Just can't seem to part with them. Sometimes they come in handy when cooking for a bunch at a tailgate party at Arrowhead.[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Mayberry Smoker,
    kept my kettle, and the bottom of the gas smoker, i use the burner for a lot of things

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mayberry Smoker,[p]I've had my large BGE for about six months. My wife really didn't think that I needed the BGE, Weber gasser and my electric Charbroil smoker.[p]I ended up selling the electric smoker and I haven't regretted it one bit. I still have the Weber gasser, but it never sees action anymore. It was a nice one and is only a few years old, so I can't quite bring myself to part with it. [p]At least not until I get another egg![p]Good luck with your decision.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    IMG_0403Small.jpg
    <p />Smoke In The 'Nole,
    Where else would I keep all my Egg crap. RP

• AZRP,[p]Now that's just wrong! Then again, I AM running short on storage space. Just can't let my wife figure out that I've turned my Weber into an expensive, stainless steel Eggcessory holder!
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    AZRP,
    Now that is an idea....I am running out of room in my deck box and was wondering where else I could put my egg things. Only problem the cat has taken over the gasser as a great place to survey the back yard...don't know if I could get him off to get at my things. He loves the fact I haven't disturbed him to get at the gasser since I got my egg.

• Denio
    Denio Posts: 8
    Mayberry Smoker,
    I went from a Brinkman $40.00 Smoke'N'Grill to a LBGE a year ago. "No Regrets" lol... The only time I use the kitchen stove is to make pasta or fry an egg.

• Mayberry Smoker,
    You all are sure humane when it comes to the old cookers, I had a Char-Broil propane grill that hadn’t been used for several years and was starting to look really bad. Some buddies were over at the house one day and we got to laughing about that scene in the movie "Office Space" where the guys took a fax machine out to the woods and destroyed it with bats. Well out came a couple of sledge hammers and a pick axe. After about 10 minutes the old grill looked like it had been through a tree shredder. I have to admit it did bring tears to my eyes after it was over,...... from all the laughing of course.

• Mayberry Smoker, I decided to keep my big-super-deluxe-fancy-type gasser. It looks (kinda) nifty out on the deck. But after I bought an Egg, I haven't even opened the lid on the gasser. I really have no valid reason to keep it, though. Maybe I will use the suggestion of placing my ever-growing collection of Egg goodies inside for storage. I vote you should keep the old stuff, but........I still have my little red wagon!

• Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]I've sold a WSM and an off-set barrel smoker without a hint of regret; steel cookers don't interest me anymore.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0602.jpg
    <p />Mayberry Smoker,
    This was my Ducane that I kicked to the curb - no regrets at all! Only surprise was I assumed some scavengers would have snatched it but alas even those people didn't want it and the dump trunk driver ran the crusher after throwing it in.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Denio
    Denio Posts: 8
    RRP,
    You should have put $10.00 on it.. then someone would have stole it..

• 47b7ce26b3127ccebd0d6c3840f000000026100AcMnLRi3csWPg
    <p />Mayberry Smoker,[p] I kept mine, the sideburner works great for lighting a chimney full of lump for the egg!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Denio,
    You have no idea how true that is. I have 2-4, 15 gallon containers every month. I set them outside. They set, I put a leave a $5 in the mail box sign up, GONE! LOL.[p]Mike

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    RRP,
    Out of all my gasserts, ducane was my favorite.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    HungryMan,
    Funny but when I bought it I thought I was buying the top of the line (at that time) and while I thought $550 was a lot of money for a gas grill that unit was a class act blah blah blah. What a HUGE disappointment it was!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mayberry Smoker,[p]I regret ever spending $$$$ on my WSM, New Brunsfells, Kettle, Brinkman, Genesis. [p]Other than that I have no regrets.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Mayberry Smoker,
    Do you have to get rid of the guru? cant you just by the draft door adaptor to match your egg?