Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Happy Cast Iron Woosday

RoudyRoudy Posts: 431
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hadn't used the old Lodge dutch oven in months, so over the weekend I dusted it off and cooked. On Saturday it was Cow Lickn Chili.[p]BGE001.jpg[p]On Sunday I tried my low and slow French Beef Stew recipe. It's wonderful in the oven, but this was my first effort in Egging it. As always, things taste better when cooked on the Egg![p]BGE-1.jpg[p]Happy Woosday![p]Roudy
·

Comments

• SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,948
    Morning Roudy:[p]I also did chili in my dutch oven this weekend.[p]PA070008.jpg[p]And in one of the skillets the pork-onion pie, first is EggHatter finishing the crust prep...[p]PA070002.jpg[p]then the finished pie[p]PA070013.jpg[p]Love the case iron![p]
    Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

website ---  http://mysite.verizon.net/respulq1/index.html

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Roudy,[p]Since cast iron is the flavor of the day:[p]Some Chicken Fajitas - one of the first cooks on the new medium:[p]Flipped.small.jpg[p]Finished2.small.jpg[p]
    And some brats, peppers, and onions:[p]AlmostDone.small.jpg[p]
    DoneandDelicious.small.jpg

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,542
    100_1589.jpg
    <p />Roudy, some castiron cooks
    100_1439.jpg[p]100_1428.jpg[p]2005002951.jpg[p]a03d0156.jpg[p]e96e97f7.jpg[p]516ea675.jpg

·
  • Roudy,
    i love cast iron in the egg. ...[p]searing a prime rib roast on my cast iron flat skillet[p]IMG_0974.jpg[p]searing ox tails for ox tail stew. .. [p]DSCN0982.jpg[p]potato gallette[p]DSCN0875.jpg[p]trexing a lobster stuffed beef tenderloin[p]DSCN0716.jpg[p]blackened redfish. .. [p]DSCN0350.jpg

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03417a.jpg
    <p />Roudy,[p]Cast Iron cookin' on Woosday?? woohoo.gif Yeah I can get behind that.[p][p]DSC03414a.jpg[p]d02b78ed.jpg[p]cb7c6fc1.jpg[p]Happy Woosday
    ~thirdeye~[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]100_1110.jpg[p]100_1111.jpg
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Sorry, no food pictures today. SOOOOOOoooooooo[p]
    Floridamay242007026.jpg[p]Floridamay242007028.jpg[p]Floridamay242007027.jpg

·
  • jake42jake42 Posts: 930
    ·
  • Roudy,[p]Well, I gotta get my licks in too...[p]Adding color and locking in flavor of the chuck for my first pot roast...
    DSCN3039.jpg[p]...about 2 hours into the cook (man did it shrink!)...
    DSCN3045.jpg[p]But it turned out just right...
    DSCN3053.jpg[p]Cast iron does it for me. Thanks to Thirdeye and others for their advice on this cook.[p]

·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Roudy,
    I like my cast iron covered in enamel :>)[p]DSCF7864.jpg

·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Roudy,
    Chicken and dumplings.
    IMG_0295Small.jpg
    Smoked sausage, potatoes, and onions. -RP
    IMG_0280Small.jpg

·
  • dhuffjr,
    LOL. ..i thought we'd be doing enameled cast iron another day. ..but as long as you opened the door, i also love my le creuset. ..[p]lasagna
    IMG_0835.jpg[p]chili
    IMG_0709.jpg[p]crab stuffed canneloni
    IMG_0120.jpg[p]oxtail stew
    DSCN0987.jpg[p]peach/blueberry crisp
    DSCN0426.jpg[p]osso bucco
    DSCN0176.jpg[p]

·
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That's a nice collection of cookware. Great looking food too.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,281
    100_0287.jpg
    <p />Roudy, cognac and peppercorn sauce for steaks....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Roudy,[p]I forgot cast iron grid counts here. (Actually I love this picture series so much I just wanted an excuse to post it again). I aspire to earn my "Flame Master" badge.[p]
    Fire1Small.jpg[p]Fire2Small.jpg

·
    Fidel, what's up with the face in the smoke.....first picture, right of the flame above the platesetter. boooo!

·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    tjv, I see it too! I think he's just warming up for Halloween![p]Rascal
    ·
  • BurntRawBurntRaw Posts: 565
    tjv,[p]Still seeing faces in the smoke huh Tom?[p]Didn't we go thought this a few months ago?

·
    BurntRaw, wait till I start with the ink blots....

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,462
    Roudy,
    Well, shucks it weren't nothin...I just took a cast iron blank
    IMG_00591.jpg

and cut out off what wouldn't fit in my round egg...
    IMG_00851.jpg

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Oct920071921.jpg
    <p />Roudy,[p]All I have is this morning's sunrise.[p]Nice looking batches of chili and stew. Either one of those would be good right now.... especially with a little crusty bread or corn bread.[p]Happy WoosDay yall![p]john
    ·
  • Roudy,[p]Ok. I am going to have to get a dutch oven. Man, that stuff looks good. [p]ScallopsandShrimp.jpg[p]IMG_0463.jpg[p]IMG_0557.jpg[p]IMG_0533.jpg[p]

·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    Roudy,
    well i don't have much cooked in cast iron
    DSCN0017.jpg
    does lecruset count?
    DSCN0263.jpg
    oh well that's all i got[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • 30dayribeyes-027.jpg
    <p />Roudy,
    diversity in cast iron, i say! diversity now![p]cast iron grid up there^[p]then beer bread in cast iron skillet
    6jul07-001.jpg[p]and flat iron steak stew
    flatironsteakstew-020.jpg[p]and veggies for pit beef
    pitbeef-016.jpg[p]and smoked fatty boat eggs breakfast
    bristolfall2007II-007.jpg[p]and garlic butter for crablegs
    kingsalmoncrab-004.jpg[p]and potatoes
    15jun07-017.jpg[p]and baked beans
    1jun07-019.jpg[p]and DESSERT
    24jun07-001.jpg[p]michigan2007-027.jpg[p]bbqfruit2.jpg[p]029_1.jpg[p]22apr2007-036.jpg[p]that's it.[p]

·
  • wrobswrobs Posts: 109
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Man o' man... That ALL looked soooooo good.....[p]Robert

·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    BGEPorknBeans2_06004.jpg
    <p />Roudy,
    I sure like to cook in iron.
    Pork-n-beans and a little black strap molasses.

·
  • WillieWillie Posts: 132
    ClayQ,[p]Try adding a little dry mustard and diced onions, what a difference it makes to good old pork and beans.
    Bon Appetit,
    Willie

·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    You are out of site dude! I would have thought to do the garlic butter on top of the daisey .I only have one question?How in the heck did you ever think of that approach?Many times I have looked at that the heat and smoke coming out of those vent holes and never took advantage of it.Good job man.I will think of you when it is 20 degrees or below outside to keep my fingers warm when the butt is on the grill.

·
  • salmonncrablegs-012.jpg
    <p />Darnoc,
    it just kinda came to me... in a food induced coma i think.[p]i tried like the above photo, but it was pretty unstable, so i ground down the tab of the daisy wheel so the pan would fit on the three tabs evenly...

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]diversity in cast iron, i say! diversity now![p]Dude,......I think it's more like university in cast iron cooking. Seriously man, when you went for the garlic butter....balanced on the top vent... that was out there. [p]Was there any Calvados on board??[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·