Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's one for you, NB...

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In appreciation for all NB has contributed, with his wise thoughts and inspired cooking ideas, I dedicate this recipe to him. Okay, I made it up from what I had on hand and didn't write it down, but here's a kind of sort of approximation, I think:[p]1 T vegetable oil
1 T sesame oil
1/2 C soy sauce (Kikkoman brand)
1 T freshly grated ginger
1 T finely chopped garlic
2 T fresh tangerine juice
1 T mirin (Japanese sweetened wine)
1 T brown sugar
1 t Oriental chili paste with garlic (in a jar, don't remember brand)
Hot sauce to taste (I used Sriracha)[p]Mix all this up (taste as you go and balance flavors according to your preference; I always do!) and marinate yellowfin steaks (I guess it would work for swordfish or halibut steaks, too) for no more than about 1/2 hour. I had five steaks last night, and this was plenty of marinade. Grill direct over hot coals. For the fish I made last night, I grilled 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 3 minutes dwell. I nuked what remained of the marinade and spooned some on the steaks for the dwell period. The result was a pinkish center, moist beyond belief. Tastebud happy dance, big-time.
Cheers,
Gretl (I raised my glass of Guinness in his honor!)[p]p.s. I certainly would have used lemon grass, NB's all-time favorite, but I didn't have any. Sorry!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    My wordy lordy, lady! That sounds awesome, and my printer motor is currently winding up. The tangerine juice sounds like a great idea with fish, and looks like it would add a nice edge to this tasty lookin' marinade. Do you use the unsalted or salted mirin?? I bought a bottle before I knew better, and found it was salted. I mean SALTED!! Made the mistake of adding a bunch to a marinade that had soy in it. After reading the label, I found it had as much salt as soy sauce. uggh. Pays to read the label.[p]I would like to try this marinade, but I have not had much luck with swordfish. Seems too meaty. Am I overcooking it maybe? Should I cook it as rare as I like tuna? (which is red in the middle?) Halibut is a shoe in. Yum.[p]Coincidence, or not, but I just opened up a Guinness. We just polished off a meal of a spare ribs and chicken wings. And some turbo temp zucchini/onions/pineapple/shrooms. Life is shweet indeed. Had both eggs zipping along. The ribs were cooked on the small egg, at 250 direct on an elevated grill for 4 hours. They were just the thin ends of 2 spare rib slabs. Amazing how many routes there are to good ribs. These were fab. Blue Smoke's rub again.[p]Thanks much for the recipe, and your thoughtful dedication of it! I can confidently advise anyone to try your recipe, as every one you have posted has been outstanding.[p]Man this Guinness tastes good.
    Hugs, and howdy to the family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Gretl,
    Grateful for your egg-affair over these webwaves with your Eggamour, NB......we're the grateful beneficiaries of your warm thoughts for one of the great Eggmeisters of the Forum.
    We're all waiting with baited breath and appetite for future crumbs of your wisdom and ardor! Big Murth
    p.s. Does his wife know about this?
    p.p.s. I don't care what anybody says, this is much more in the spirit of the Forum than a lot of the recent crappa that's been coming through. Gretl, thanks for sharing...and yup, NB deserves all the accolades for all his great contributions!