Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Forum - Wood Chip Question

Options
SmokeStack
SmokeStack Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,[p]I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and plan on buying a large BGE soon. I do have a question that I could use some advice on now though. I am cooking a pork shoulder roast on Sunday and usually use hickory chips for flavor. The problem is I do not have enough of them to add enough flavor. I have some Masquite chips that I could mix with the Hickory but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. Any advise would be very much appreciated.[p]Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    SmokeStack,[p]I personally think mesquite is pretty strong for pork. If you like the strong mesquite flavor there is no problem mixing the two.[p]I don't know where you are, but in most locales you can find bags of chips at grocery stores, big box home improvement stores, and even the "Super" discount retail places.[p]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    SmokeStack,
    There are two things you can look at. First, the majority of smokey flavor happens in the early part of the cook while the temp is still low. So as long as you can provide smoke during the first, say 45 mins., You should be okay. You want your pork shoulder skinned,rubbed, and as cold as possible before putting it in, to pick as much smoke as possible.
    Mesquite is cousin to the hickory so a little additional shouldn't hurt, but it's all personal preference. If I could get my hands on a truck load of mesquite here in Ga., I'd jump on it in a minute; and I would cook pork with it.
    You can always put your chips in an aluminum foil pouch and punch holes in it so that they don't burn so quickly. Also, when buying wood for flavoring purchase nothing smaller than chunks, it'll last longer and you'll use less. I think you'll find it works better. Good luck with your cook and post a photo. Hope you get an egg, you'll really enjoy it.
    Big'un

• SmokeStack
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Thanks for the help.[p]SmokeStack
  • SmokeStack
    Options
    Big'un,[p]Thanks for the help. Your right, I do need an egg. I just need to convince my wife.[p]SmokeStack
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Big'un,
    it's the smoke RING that forms while the meat surface temp is under 140, but you could add smoke at any time.[p]if smoke occurred at the end of a cook instead of the beginning, the only real difference would be the lack of a (or a lesser) smoke ring.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SmokeStack,I've used a Weber and then later a Traeger wood pellet grill. The egg produces a better smokey flavor than either of the above two and I'm at a loss to explain why. Without any soaked wood chips or chunks I get a delicate smoke to all food that is cooked on the egg. When adding a small amount of wood chips I get a really good flavored smoke. I am reluctant to put a whole bunch of chips on the coal because you really can overdue smoke. The egg is really a wonderful device to smoke food. The first 20 minutes or so should open up the pores of the meat so that the meat will absorb the smoke. Then drop the temp (I know it may be difficult) to 220 or so for the remainder of the time and cook to internal temperature.

• SmokeStack
    Options
    Dr. Jim,[p]Thanks for help. I will give it a try.[p]SmokeStack