Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help!!
Just got my Big Green Egg. I have a pork butt to slow cook for dinner tomorrow. On my old Weber Water smoker would put on for 12-14 hours or until bone could be pulled out by hand. I have the plate acessory. Should I use it and what temperture would be recommended to slow cook for thatperoid of time.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Stan Morse,[p]Welcome. Congratulations on the new EGG. Check out this link for a lot of good help. Also return to the forum with any and all questions. Naked whiz also has links to other egg owners sites for more info.[p]Mike
    [ul][li]Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Stan Morse,[p]Yes use the platesetter. Legs up with a drip pan in the center, grid on top of the legs.[p]Dome temperature of 250*.[p]You can plan on 1.2 to 2 hours per pound.[p]Good luck...any questions just ask. There is a wealth of information and helpful folk here.[p]You can see the setup here, but I didn't use a drip pan on this cook. You can see the platesetter and grid pretty clearly - the drip pan would go directly under the meat below the grid - sitting right on top of the center of the platesetter:[p]RoastingSmall.jpg
  • Fidel,

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    Stan Morse,[p]WooHoo!!! Congrats Stan...what are you doing for your "first fire"?[p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Stan Morse,
    make sure to fill you egg up with lump to at least halfway up the fire ring. i fill mine to the top generally. mix in any wood chips you have into the lump. You will love how much easier this is than the old water smoker once you get used to the set up.

• JD McGee,[p]Pork Butt. Then add Baby Back ribs tomorrow. Hopefully, all will be ready for football. Bucs vs. Colts.[p]Thanks

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    Stan Morse,[p](disregard first reply...LOL!) WooHoo!!! Congrats Stan! Good choice for your first fire...Keep her/him low-n-slow around 225-250 grate temp...245-265 or so dome temp till you hit your target internal temp for your pork butts. Don't forget about that annoying "plateau". Good Luck and Happy Eggin'![p]JD

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • disabledDK
    Options
    Stan Morse,
    I too just got mine last week ,I am having a blast
    I did a small pork roast 1st meal ,scalped potatos
    ribs next day ,lazanya next , ham loaf green bean
    ,I have not done a steak or bugers yet ,have no fear it can do it just want to master some slow cooking 1st .
    Just a tip from a newbee its alot harder to get it cooled down ,than it is to get her hot ,so if you want 250
    start to shut down at 225 ,the bottom vent is your bigest temp changer
    I have large if I want 200-225 bottm vent or draft is only 1/8" open ( have had it stay there for over 5 hrs @225)using little more than 2 hands full of coal [p]Have FUN !![p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Stan Morse,
    First, congrats!! and welcome to the club. Temp 250-270F dome, cook until internal temp is at about 195F. Wrap in foil, and let rest for about an hour in a cooler with towels. The bone will pull out by hand and it will be super juicy.
    Tampa Bay area has some fantastic eggers down there, you are in good company. Just ask if you have any questions.
    DSCI0022.jpg[p]DSCI0026.jpg

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Stan Morse,
    Get the egg all ready to go and put some cheap yellow mustard and some rub on the Butt and get her on tonight for the low and slow. If it finishes up early you can wrap it in foil then wrap in a towel and put in a cooler. You actually want to let it rest like this before pulling. Good luck and enjoy. Let us know how it went.[p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Stan Morse,[p]Welcome aboard and good cooking from out west in the high desert w/snow.[p]Great Steak Fajitas last night. Seared the round steak directly on the coals for 2 min per side. Great sear and med rare. Fantastic meal.[p]Dutch Oven Pot Roast on Sunday. Beef Stew on Monday.[p]Have had my large for 6 weeks now and proud to say we haven't turned the stove, oven or microwave once since. Well, we did use the microwave 3 times for cooking some oatmeal - but that didn't count as my wife said that wsa for medicinal purposes.[p]Hope you enjoy your egg as much as we are enjoying ours.[p]Kent