Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interested in buying an Egg but...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The prices in Canada seem to be out of whack...especially now that Canadian money is at par with the US greenback. I was quoted the following price from a local dealer...a nice guy but I feel like I'm being robbed since I've seen them offered cheaper in the States even with this 20% discount. I want to support my local dealer and if it was just a matter of 5 or 10% difference, I could live with it. It would be no problem for me to get one from the States, I travel there often plus I have many friends and family who go down to FLA for the winter. What should I do?[p]Large Egg with metal damper, thermometer, and spring band $1099.99
Nest with wheels $139.99
Shelves $99.99
Ash Tool $16.99
Grill Gripper $16.99
Electric Starter $29.99
Plate Setter $69.99
Porcelain V-rack $36.99[p]Total Retail $1510.92
less 20% discount ($302.18)
Total CAD$1208.74 or USD$1211.44
Plus tax.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Tom B.,
    yeah. aren't we dollar for dollar right now? it seems that the OLD retail price has a little inertia, and that dealers aren't lowering prices based on parity, but simply keeping the prices "what they always were".[p]i do think it would be odd if canadian retail prices fluctuated to keep pace with the american dollar, but now that the US and Canadian buck are virtually the same, you'd think there'd be some price 'correction'.[p]i'd advocate getting one and bringing it back, except i don't know if there's a warranty issue.[p]all those prices are just crazy. a grill gripper and ash tool here are 7 bucks each at a local store. egg is around 650/700 depending on the retailer. at those differences, the warranty issue seems pretty minor.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I can sell you the nest w/wheels for $60 (plus shipping). I have one that came with mine and sat in it for two days. It is now collecting dust. Let me know if you are interested.
  • ive seen Large big green eggs for 900 with nest included. they probably include other stuff to liek the egg mate side tables. where in canada do you live. id wait until you take a road trip to the states . the place i saw it was in quechee vermont.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    stike,
    When I was in CA. I stopped in a BBQ Galores and saw a large daisy wheel for $42. Thought that was kind of high.[p] I havent' looked now that I'm back in AZ. Will have to keep my eyes open.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Tom B.,[p]I just purchased an Egg in Utah a few weeks ago. Here is the best deal I was able to find from a local dealer:[p]Large Egg with metal damper, thermometer, and spring band - $664.95
    Nest with wheels - $73.10
    Ash Tool - $11.35
    Grill Gripper - $11.35
    Plate Setter - Free (thrown in with package.)[p]I did not need the Shelves, Electric Starter, or Porcelain V-rack so I did not price them.[p]Hope this helps.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Tom B., those seem to be unchanged from when the CAD was worth 0.65 USD. Strong CAD - even stronger BGE.[p]I say come to EGGtoberfest and take a used one home.

• TomCPA
    TomCPA Posts: 82
    Tom B.,[p]That seems a bit much. I would get it in the states given those prices. Heck, my plate setter was over $20 less.[p]One way to save money is buy only essential eggcessories now and buy the rest later. That might be heresy, but that's what I did. I have most everything I need and what I don't have, I am making do just fine.[p]Tom
  • Tom B.,
    I believe in supporting local dealers too, but only to a point. 10% is usually my limit. Maybe a bit more if they add value, but that's just a bit too much, methinks.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    TomCPA,
    i'm with you. i bought the egg only (daisy, top, etc. included). no nest/wings or anything else. finally got an ash tool a YEAR later. hahaha[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tom B.,[p]That does seem a little steep, especially when you do consider the non-conversion rate of our dollars now... ;)[p]I got my large a year ago, so there was a fair difference in the Canadian dollar then, and my total was about $1500 Cdn, but that had the grill, accessories (grill grip, nest, ash tool, thermo), plate setter and charcoal included, as well as our lovely taxes (pst and gst here in B.C.). [p]I do wish, now, that I had forked over the little extra for the pizza stone and extended grill, but that's my own fault. ;)[p]However you end up getting it, I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely. I've done lots of grilling and a handfull of low-and-slow's, don't think I've cooked anything I haven't enjoyed yet!
  • Tom B.
    I am in Florida, If I can be of assistance to you becoming an "Egghead" email me and I will try to set you up!!!!

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Tom B.,
    assuming even exchange you are looking at a 30% over prices here in Pennsylvania . $42 for a place setter 3 days ago. i do not know about extra shipping or import tarrifs and such but here in Pa. $500 buys a lot of steak and beer, mostly beer. hope you join the ranks.
    bill

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Tom B.,
    That is expensive for sure, but could some of the high cost be coming from shipping cost?[p]MC Jerry

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    FV-Egger,
    same here ABSOLUTELY no regrets and **** i had inquired once to ship 1 large and it was 125 dollars!!! man gotta keep the canadian economie going guys!! but hell i understand also that a price difference like that does make you consider going to the states but then if every canadian would only buy in the u.s ..... were the hell would that put us then!! we complain these days that everything is costly and that companies are cutting back and jobs are lost everyday , then we all go to the states ??? is that really right ?? i shop canadian , but when something is not available in canada i shop u.s!! what you might wanna consider is calling your sales rep and explain to him that you are considering going to the states and see what he could do then!!
    my 2 cents!!
    mike

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Tom B.,
    Really tough call. How far over the border are you? Can you buy just the egg from him and the rest of the stuff in the U.S.? Buying just the egg from him would be for warranty issues. If you aren't far over the border, you could just drive here if there were warranty issues.[p]The price seems excessive. On the other hand, you'll love the egg and not regret it for an instant. If that was the price of eggs here, I still would have bought mine.[p]So it's up to you, of course. But if you do go ahead and pay the higher price, just do it, get it over with, and don't think about it. Just start having fun with your egg.[p]Good luck,
    Gwen

• Tom B., I'm from near Tiverton, Ontario and was lucky enough to get my eggs at a great deal from a friend, but I enquired about prices at our local dealer for another friend who wants an egg, and was told that they put together a "package" which includes a large egg, the nest, shelves, grip, poker and a bag of charcoal for $1,399. So the price you were quoted doesn't seem far off from that. I also recently paid $70 for a plate setter at the same place. I think shipping costs have a lot to do with Canadian prices. Hope this helps.

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Tom B.,[p]Whoa...check this out. May be worth a road trip.[p]JD

[ul][li]http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/437337530.html[/ul]
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • Tom B.,[p]There is no discount there Tom. I paid full price for my Large BGE two years ago. I paid $1199.00Cdn all in and that
    price included the nest (stand), the side tables, the ash tool, the grid lifter, a bag of lump and a box of starter cubes. I'd buy in the States if I were you. Dollar being what it is, you'll save an easy $400.00 if you go across the border. There should be no duties because it is made in North America.[p]Just my opinion,[p]John

• stike,[p]I don't use an ash tool. I clean out often, and have a small, old dry-wet vac dedicated to my Eggs. Very fast! Very clean![p]Besides, with a broken neck and a crushed back... bending down ain't my style![p]I'd never get back up![p]~ B :)

• Thanks for all the input...very appreciated![p]I spoke with my local dealer once again. He's willing to let me have the Egg package (incl. setter, v-rack, and starter) at his cost of $1005 plus tax (cash & carry). Seems odd that dealer cost would be above what Eggs are retailed at in the States!! Sounds like both dealers and customers in Canada are getting the shaft.[p]I'm going to be in States next weekend and look up the local dealer to see what I can do. Looks like I still may be able to save another 150 bucks or so...maybe even 200.[p]Thanks again guys and ladies too.

• mikeb6109
    JD McGee,
    yes but yet this only includes the egg!! then you need to add the mates ,nest,platesetter,vrack.....you are probaly looking more like 1000 when you add the rest of it!
    mike

• mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    Tom B., i know you can get all that for under 800.00 +tax of course here in michigan. (ann arbor to be exact)

• Tom B.,
    you mean at that price you are still gonna consider going to the states!!!! give your head a shake that is definetly a steal and you will not regret your purchase!!for 100 or 150 savings keep the sale in canada man,what are you expecting that the dealer sells it to you at a lost then what he ends up closong his doors and yet another canadian burned by what a measly 100 bucks!! mas jump on the sale and support the canadian economy..........
    mike

• Tom B.,
    I've always been one for supporting the Cdn. economy but I hate it when we always seem to get the short end of the stick up here. All I ask for is a bit of fairness from time to time. I think a lot of the excess cost is due to a supply/demand issue, the extra middle man cost who distributes to the dealers and also the huge shipping costs. It's very hard to make any kind of deal (I bought a lot of accessories but my dealer wouldn't budge on pricing, does pay to shop around locally). So you have made a great steal with the offer given to you and should take that into consideration. Something else to consider, remember a 140lb egg will not be easy to lift into your car/truck unless you have a helper and it better be secured or else you may have a warranty issue if you break it. Plus there's the time and gas to get to a US dealer if you can even find one close to the border.[p]I bought my large egg this summer and in hind sight I should have played around with the egg for a few months to determine which accessories were really needed. As the $ got stronger and stronger I dreaded making those accessory purchases even more because I knew I could probably do better in the States. But I have everything eggwise so I just have to chuck it up to bad timing and go with the flow. Besides I've really enjoyed egging this summer! My suggestion would be to just buy the accessories down there. Besides there's a lot of extras (like the Weber extra grill) which are not available here but can be easily found in the US Home Depot.[p]As a side note I have recently given thought to going into the States and picking up a smaller egg for myself and perhaps my Dad. I'd check with my dealer first to see what he could do but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe if there was pressure on the Canadian supplier to reduce the cost a bit due to the $ parity issue, they'd be able to sell more eggs. But same thing goes for everything we buy in Canada. No wonder our economy is doing so well, we pay too much and never complain.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    JudyFoodie,
    just curious about your customs - I assume you have to declare a BGE coming back into Canada don't you? Will/can/they tax you then? I mean why play thru the nose otherwise when you could cross the border and haul one back at hundreds and hundreds of dollars in savings?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Well written posting!![p]I believe that shipping to Canada does cost a bit more...in bulk, I'd say it adds roughly 4-5 percent but I would be willing to wager that I can buy Eggs cheaper in Alaska than I can in Canada. I'll be in the States anyhow plus my vehicle is large enough to handle a large Egg plus I can get help on both ends of the trip.[p]Anyhow, you're right...pressure should be applied to BGE Canada to get their act together...I can see many dealers soon dropping their line. It's just damn foolishness that US retail pricing is still lower than Canadian wholesale.[p]My local dealer here in Bathurst, NB forwarded his Fall clearance price list to me... I've also seen it listed on bbqtalk.ca...[p]Large Big Green Egg with metal damper, thermometer, and spring band.
    MSRP $1099.99
    Large Nest with Wheels $139.99
    Table Mate Set $99.99
    Ash Tool $16.99
    Grill Gripper $16.99
    *Electric Charcoal Starter $29.99
    *Plate Setter $69.99
    *Porcelain V-Rack $36.99
    Total MSRP $1510.92
    Discount -$508.00
    Clearance Price $1002.92
    Brand New, fully assembled, ready to roll (3 available)[p]Medium Big Green Egg with metal damper, thermometer, and spring band.
    MSRP $899.99
    Medium Nest with Wheels $139.99
    Table Mate Set $99.99
    Ash Tool $16.99
    Grill Gripper $16.99
    Plate Setter $69.99
    Total MSRP $1243.94
    Discount -$373.18
    Clearance Price $870.76
    Brand New, fully assembled, ready to roll (1 available)[p]Small Big Green Egg with metal damper, thermometer, and spring band.
    MSRP $699.99
    Small Nest with Wheels $139.99
    Ash Tool $16.99
    Grill Gripper $16.99
    Total MSRP $873.96
    Discount -$262.19
    Clearance Price $611.77
    Brand New, fully assembled, ready to roll (1 available) [p]

• RRP,
    Yes I would have to declare and pay all sales taxes but probably not have to pay any duty because the item is made in North America. The dome is made in Mexico but everything is assembled in Atlanta so I think there should be no question about not paying any tariffs due to the North American Free Trade Agreement. I've been trying to find out what all the duty rates are that exists but for some reason Canadian customs keeps that all hush hush at least on their website. But from what I've learned so far items purchased in the States which are imported from overseas are not duty free. But don't quote me. A lot of Canadians would cross border shop for those things that are considerably cheaper than here or for those items that are just not availabe for sale. So yes an egg purchased across the border would seem enticing for a lot of future Canadian egg owners as are cars, kitcen appliances, designer fashions etc.
    Judy

• mikeb6109
    JudyFoodie,
    been checking with the u.s for pricing and most guys are sellong them for around 700 taxes in no goodies involved!! add the mates and the platesetter and the vrack electric lighter lump and you are pretty dam close to 1000 dollars then when you cross the border you need to pay the 14 % canadian tax plus a luxury surcharge of 3%.it all adds up!!why bother if you can get it now from rob at 1005 plus taxes i beleive!!! come on guys give your canadian heads a shake!!!!
    mike